Priming Elderflower Champagne......

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gobhoblin

Reaction score
......Ok, it's had two weeks primary and we're due to bottle it this weekend. How much sugar will it need for secondary fermentation? I have 16 litres and would like to batch prime it before bottling into 1 litre PET bottles. Would like it quite fizzy but not over the top!
Thanks!

I've not done any sparkling wines before, but I always assumed you had to wait until the wine had cleared first, or had at least cleared enough that you could tell whether or not you've got a haze problem. Has this happened already?

Not sure that'd be an issue. Everything I seem to have found on t'internet seems to turn up a rather cloudy brew with no stories of great clearing success! Never made any wine before, plenty of beer though! So does elderflower champagne actually qualify as a wine? I just assumed it was a mildly alcoholic fruity thing that country folk like me knocked up once a year!? :D

I will check this evening. But I think commercial champagne is primed with about 18g per 750ml. They will loss a few bottles due to explosion but a home brewers using second hand bottles it is safer to reduce the priming sugar to avoid bombs.

I got the information from Award Winning Wines by Bill Smith.

alanywiseman said:
I am sure I read 14g per 750ml champagne bottle. Will you degorge (is that the right word?).

Ok commercial champagne are carbonated to 6 atms which is equal to 17g per 750ml bottle. For an amateur this would be dangerous so Bill Smith recommends carbonating to 4 atms or using 11-12g per 750ml bottle.

Make sure to only use the heavy champagne bottles (usually over 2lbs empty) as these will be the strongest.

Excellent. So 17g/L bottle (PET) will be ok then.
Was also thinking of back sweetening it a little as it's turned out very dry. Seen a few non fermentables suggested but I have plenty of "Canderel" to hand, would this be ok to use?

My peach wine I have almost 2 litres over after filling 3 DJ's from the FV

I am thinking to make some peach fizz with the excess...

I guess I can use the same quantity (about 10-12g) to prime my peaches in 750ml champers bottles

Latest posts

Back