Priming sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaffa

Reaction score
I have been reading a few threads and was after some confermation..

I have just kegged my Coopers IPA it had the Can and and sugar all put in at the start of the fermentation, should I have added some priming sugar to the KEg?

Thanks in advance

/Jaf

What kind of keg are you using? If you are force carbing it then no. If you are wanting to naturally carbonate it then yes, you should have added priming sugar to do that.

I use cornie kegs and just hook them up to a CO2 tank to carbonate them. I only use priming sugar when bottling, which is rare.

Baz

Its a plastic keg, I have an adapter for a Co2 cartridge should I just fit that now, or let it sit in the barrel for a bit and Gas it when Im ready to drink it?

Thanks for the reply

Thinking about it, I dont really want to fforce carb an Ale , is it too late to natrually carb it?

You could still prime with sugar if you wanted, assuming you can get the sugar mixture in there. Is the CO2 canister just to push the beer out and replace it with CO2 or to actually carb it?

You can't force carb in a plastic barrel, as phettebs said the gas is only to push the beer out of the keg. If you've only kegged today i would go ahead and add your priming sugar, and leave it in the warm for a week :cheers:

I think he's talking about something like this...

basic_barrel_125.jpg

in which case you can definitely carbonate in plastic with co2, I rely on it (because I can't be arsed to wait for natural carb.)

it's about £2.50 for a replacement cartridge and they'll last you about 3 kegs worth.

Sorry if i'm missing something here but i understood that you can't force carb in a plastic barrel, firstly because the barrel itself wouldn't withstand the pressure and secondly you have a pressure relief valve so any excess gas is vented rather than being absorbed into the beer (which causes the forced carbonation). What you are talking about doing Rob is adding gas to serve your beer rather than waiting for it to produce enough gas itself

:cheers:

Dissolve 80 grams of sugar in a small amount of boiling water.Let it cool and chuck it in.

As said, leave in the same place you fermented it for a week then somewhere cool for as long as you can wait.

eggman said:
Sorry if i'm missing something here but i understood that you can't force carb in a plastic barrel, firstly because the barrel itself wouldn't withstand the pressure and secondly you have a pressure relief valve so any excess gas is vented rather than being absorbed into the beer (which causes the forced carbonation). What you are talking about doing Rob is adding gas to serve your beer rather than waiting for it to produce enough gas itself

:cheers:

I'm not understanding...you can prime a keg with sugar and it'll carbonate, you can wait for natural carbonation, and you can use co2 to do it too, they'll all work fine...

RobWalker said:
I think he's talking about something like this...

basic_barrel_125.jpg

in which case you can definitely carbonate in plastic with co2, I rely on it (because I can't be arsed to wait for natural carb.)

it's about £2.50 for a replacement cartridge and they'll last you about 3 kegs worth.

Thats the bad boy, it has a small c02 canister attached at the moment, makes it quite difficult to pour as the pressure is quite high, get a nice head though and it keeps the oxygen at bay too I guess

If the barrel is already pressurised then you may find it difficult to remove the lid without first venting off that pressure via a pressure relief valve.

The tap is at the bottom of the barrel and although I don't use these personally, I would expect gravity to do the job of emptying the barrel.
When you use these barrels do you have to loosen the top to prevent air guggling in through the tap?

I'm not sure that you need to prime this sort of barrel for the reason mentioned above, but if you do need to, then prime when you barrel the brew.

Air does not glug in as the Co2 cannister keeps the pressure as you release the ale.

earthwormgaz said:
Can you bottle without priming sugar? I'm thinking of bottling beer, but don't like my ale fizzy.

Just reduce the amount of sugar you use, if you don't use any the ale will be without any kind of life.

I don't like ale fizzy either just a tingle on the tongue.

Muddy Funker said:
earthwormgaz said:
Can you bottle without priming sugar? I'm thinking of bottling beer, but don't like my ale fizzy.

Just reduce the amount of sugar you use, if you don't use any the ale will be without any kind of life.

I don't like ale fizzy either just a tingle on the tongue.

Okay, sort of 1/4 or 1/8 of a teaspoon in a bottle? That sort of thing?

Back