Priming Sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawfordid

Reaction score
Its pretty hard to find original topics and I imagine this has already been discussed a fair bit, but do people find a big difference between

1) putting in their priming sugar into their fementer and leaving it a day before bottling

or

2) putting the sugar cubes or granules directly into the bottle after bottling.

Ive always put the sugar in after bottling and not had any issues with it until recently where it has been so damn cold where I am that its taking ages for the beer to carbonate and dont have a beer fridge to keep it in to keep it warm enough (normally just have a heat pad and blankets to keep the fermenter warm). But I imagine I would still get the same problem if i primed the beer before bottling. Does anyone have any ideas or preferences?

Thanks

up to now I have put the sugar in the bottles prior to bottling, this time around (tomorrow) I will top up the carboy with all the sugar needed for the bottles and do it that way, will save a lot of time

I've always dissolved the sugar in hot water, brought to boil, allowed to cool and poured carefully into the FV immediately before bottling.

I've always dissolved the sugar in hot water, brought to boil, allowed to cool and poured carefully into the FV immediately before bottling.

I have been doing this myself. Did first brew with sugar and or tabs per bottle:nono:
na too much faffing around:doh:

Definitely don't put it into the fermenter a day before bottling. The whole point is it gets consumed by the yeast while in the bottle to carbonate the beer in the bottle. It won't carbonate in the fermenter as it's not sealed.

Handiest way is to dissolve it in boiling water and pour it into the bottling bucket before racking into it from the fermenter. That way it all gets mixed in evenly before it goes into the bottle.

Latest posts

Back