priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abi

Reaction score
When i batch prime my strong bitter next week, could i use half sugar and half black treacle? As i had some a few years ago, i dont know when the guy had added the treacle. Does anybody have any experiance of this practise? dont want to make my beer undrinkable but if i can do it to suit my taste i would like to try it?

i dont think you would want to do that really as the idea is for the remaining yeast to brake down the sugar thus making c02 using treacle would just make it harder for the yeast to brake it down , i would of thought any flavour wanted from treacle should be adding in fermentation not so much after :thumb:

pittsy said:
i dont think you would want to do that really as the idea is for the remaining yeast to brake down the sugar thus making c02 using treacle would just make it harder for the yeast to brake it down , i would of thought any flavour wanted from treacle should be adding in fermentation not so much after :thumb:
cheers a lesson learned. I will brew the next batch with it at the start of the process.

abi said:
pittsy said:
cheers a lesson learned. I will brew the next batch with it at the start of the process.

Which would be best? To add the treacle at the beginning of the brew, or to transfer to a secondary fv after most of the primary fermenting has completed and then add the treacle to the secondary for about a week, and then bottle? Just interested, as thinking of similar for when I do my stout :)

Thanks

lovelldr said:
abi said:
pittsy said:

Which would be best? To add the treacle at the beginning of the brew, or to transfer to a secondary fv after most of the primary fermenting has completed and then add the treacle to the secondary for about a week, and then bottle? Just interested, as thinking of similar for when I do my stout :)

Thanks
would you still prime with sugar after the week was up?

I reckon a treacle primed strong bitter could work. Somewhere about 90g for a 5 gallon brew.

It worked beautifully for my stout...

calumscott said:
I reckon a treacle primed strong bitter could work. Somewhere about 90g for a 5 gallon brew.

It worked beautifully for my stout...
At the beginning of my thread i was given the advice not to prime with treacle as the yeast cant ferment it all, so do you not think this would be an issue?

For me, strong ales and stouts can take a bit of sweetness.

Go for it, what's the worst that could happen? :)

Back