Cardboard taste after a month

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatFenBrew

Reaction score
I'm getting a cardboard taste in my bottles beers after around a month which I'm putting down to oxygenation.
I batch prime and transfer to bottles by bottling wand.
Is there s better way to bottle to minimise risk of oxygen?
I dont keg as I dont drink much these days and like to.give bottles away to family and friends.
Anybody had similar problems and how to rectify please?

Are you transferring into a separate bucket to batch prime?
If so as you say you do not drink a lot it would be safer to use a funnel and a spoon to prime the bottles by hand then fill from the FV to within1 to 2cm of the top and cap.
Also look at your procedure to see if there is anywhere you could be introducing oxygen by stirring etc or lifting the top too often to look at the beer.
Probably something simple it is just a matter of finding what it is you are doing maybe.

Hang on.

I am struggling to understand how you are getting what must be a huge amount of of DO in the beer at priming.

Although batch priming would not be my choice, it is popular and not necessarily the issue.

Are you getting a head?
How big is the air gap?
When you rack into the secondary are you splashing in about?
Is the bottling wand sucking back?
How old is the beer when you bottle?
Did it happen with all beers?

Put another way try this....
Use a zevro sugar dispenser, and dose each bottle.
Use a racking cane straight from the primary fermentation vessel. Put the syphon hose all the way to the bottom of the bottle. Do in gently no splashing.
Leave 15mm airspace.
Do your bottling while your beer is still fresh... Oh and use the bottling cane to stake a tomato plant 🤣🤣

This will solve the problem.

Ps. A party tap with a bit of gas hose in the spout makes a cheap & brilliant bottling gun. I can send you some hose, foc -I have miles!

EDIT: Sorry I said "miles" of gas hose. Should have been 'Just a few meters extra' but I have been accused of exaggerating a million times before.

Last edited:
Hang on.

I am struggling to understand how you are getting what must be a huge amount of of DO in the beer at priming.

Although batch priming would not be my choice, it is popular and not necessarily the issue.

Are you getting a head?
How big is the air gap?
When you rack into the secondary are you splashing in about?
Is the bottling wand sucking back?
How old is the beer when you bottle?
Did it happen with all beers?

Put another way try this....
Use a zevro sugar dispenser, and dose each bottle.
Use a racking cane straight from the primary fermentation vessel. Put the syphon hose all the way to the bottom of the bottle. Do in gently no splashing.
Leave 15mm airspace.
Do your bottling while your beer is still fresh... Oh and use the bottling cane to stake a tomato plant 🤣🤣

This will solve the problem.

Ps. A party tap with a bit of gas hose in the spout makes a cheap & brilliant bottling gun. I can send you some hose, foc -I have miles!

EDIT: Sorry I said "miles" of gas hose. Should have been 'Just a few meters extra' but I have been accused of exaggerating a million times before.
Wow thanks @MashBag I didn't know about that zevro sugar dispenser! I think I may need to invest myself for bottle priming they look really handy 🙂

2g ascorbic acid per 20 litres dissolved in cooled boiled water divided between the bottles using a syringe.
I mix the priming sugar in at same time, working it out so 10ml per 500ml bottle.
All other above advice will also help.
Remember if the beer is oxidised before it goes in the bottle it wont get better whatever you do.

Curious. I bottle for the same reasons, tranfer to bottling bucket, batch prime and fill with wand every time - never had an issue. Usually (depends on the beer) cold crash, then siphon from fermenter into bottling bucket with cooled dissolved sugar solution. If I remember I give it a gentle stir with sanitised spoon, but think it mixes well enough.

I'm also wondering if the problem is elsewhere in your process?

Latest posts

Back