PT100 - XLR

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darcey

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello.

I spent a large part of my uni career doing sound engineering (when I should have been studying Geo-Physics). So it struck me that I could use an XLR lead to plug PT100's in and out with? Is there any associated problems with extended in the cabling / using nonstandard hoop fittings. The PT100's I have are all about 1m cable length but I think I may need abit more. What are the effects on accuracy? Or with calibration would the PID 'learn' the new set up?!

Gurus I await your masterdom! :pray:

no idea but from reading your posts sure sounds exciting in your shed (brew house ) you've got it going on , nice one !! :drink:

I've fitted 1/4" stereo jacks to the end of my pt100 cables & fitted 1/4" stereo sockets into my project box. I guess I must have shortened the length of the PT100 cables slightly as I just cut the ends off & stripped back the wire a bit & soldered them to the jacks.

I've not noticed any performance issues or anything. The biggest challenge was making sure I wired up the two PT100s the same so that they are interchangable betweeen the two sockets :lol:

Firstly I have no techy background, just experience of what I've done for right or wrong.
I have extended PT100's and used a switch box. I calibrated them in an ice bath prior to extending them and them tested them again once extended and there was no difference.
I've used house bell wire for some and Maplins cable for others, doesn't seem to make a difference. I do know that resistance can be an issue both within the wire and contact points but I used wire that was obviously thin enough and contacts that suited. You can see the stainless wire on your PT100 I think it's x core, simple try and match by sight.
It's much a case of suck it and see until someone who builds them says different :grin:

Vossy1 said:
Firstly I have no techy background, just experience of what I've done for right or wrong.
I have extended PT100's and used a switch box. I calibrated them in an ice bath prior to extending them and them tested them again once extended and there was no difference.
I've used house bell wire for some and Maplins cable for others, doesn't seem to make a difference. I do know that resistance can be an issue both within the wire and contact points but I used wire that was obviously thin enough and contacts that suited. You can see the stainless wire on your PT100 I think it's x core, simple try and match by sight.
It's much a case of suck it and see until someone who builds them says different :grin:

:thumb:

TBH I cant even remember what wire I used inside my box, going from the PID to the 1/4" socket, I think it was 5A cable, which is thicker than I'd have liked, but seems to have done the trick just fine. Also my dubious soldering skills dont seem to have impacted the accuaracy of the thing. :D

Could anyone show me a pictorial demonstration of connecting the PT100 to the XLR cabling? I am thinking of using a thin wire and then connecting to an XLR male to connect to the control box.

Vossy1 said:
Do you have these knocking about or are you buying them D ? (they seem expensive to buy)

ebay for 5x males 99p current bid
local hardware shop 4x female chassis mount £4.50 (this is where I got the idea and bought them on a whim.)

Darcey - I like this idea so much I've just palgiarised it and my XLRs are in transit :thumb:

Plugs will go on the probes and some sockets on my control box. Bought an XLR male to female lead so I can extend over to the FV. Now an XLR switch box for the flying probe sounds like a great idea.

One of these days I'll come up with something innovative. I get lots of good ideas over a brew or three but I never write them down :drunk:

Cheers
NB

Darcey said:
Could anyone show me a pictorial demonstration of connecting the PT100 to the XLR cabling? I am thinking of using a thin wire and then connecting to an XLR male to connect to the control box.
Hi Darcey
I extended my 3 wire PT100 probe and connected it to an XLR connector. I used thin cable from maplins as recommended by Vossy. To protect the cable I put a stainless steel outer sheath

xlr-1.jpg

xlr-3.jpg

xlr-2.jpg

Very nice BT - I'll check out Vossy's cables and have a scrounge around the barn, I have an old tractor wiring loom somewhere :grin:

I'm tempted to put a speaker in my control box so I can plug a mike in using an XLR - Karaoke as you brew, will keep the cats away and knock the sediment off the side of the FV :cheers:

Cheers
NB

Latest posts

Back