Pub takeaway drinks rules to be continued for 18 months

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
Pubs in England and Wales will be able to continue selling takeaway drinks after the government decided to keep Covid licensing rules.
They were allowed to serve customers through hatches when they were forced to close under pandemic laws in 2020.
The rules were due to expire on 30 September, but they will now be continued until March 2025.
The move - aimed at saving the trade from financial ruin - was previously extended twice during the pandemic.
During the temporary extension of the rules the government said it would continue to look for a "permanent solution" to best support local pubs and bars.

I dare say they may need to do a bit more than allow takeaways to save the pub trade?

Pub takeaway drinks rules to be continued for 18 months

dare say they may need to do a bit more than allow takeaways to save the pub trade?

I agree, for those pubs that are doing OK its extra income but i doubt a pub in financial trouble is going to be saved by selling a few pints of take-away.

They've only done it as the pub has to pay a higher price for casks/kegs from a brewery if they plan to to sell for take away. The new duty laws that came in on the first mean anything for take away doesn’t get relief so the brewery pays more duty on it and the pub pays a higher price.

So I doubt we'll be seeing very many pubs offering take away pints, as who is going to order a more expensive keg/cask charge more per pint for the odd one or two that are take away, unless they dumb decide to ignore the new duty regs and risk being done for it.

Latest posts

Back