Cumbrian pub faces £80,000 hike in electric bill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was PM:

Remove the green energy subsidy, as it's now cheaper to generate from wind/solar than fossil fuel.
Remove vat on elec/gas like it used to be.
Give the regulator a bollocking for allowing them to double the standing charges when it's only the fuel costs that have gone up.

Close as many company tax loopholes as expedient.

Build new (actual) council houses to modern insulation standards & remove the right to buy from these - so they won't get flogged off after a few years.

If this continues there I predict a house price crash too. If you have to spend more of food & heating, there will be none left over for housing, especially with under 30's where 50% will also have student loans.
Unless something happens, they will be living with parents forever.

This was always going to happen due to the misguided passion for the new religion of going green...
This has nothing to do with "going green" as you put it, and everything to do with energy wholesalers cashing in on a temporary shortfall of gas in Europe since Russia decided to kick off. Why are you talking such a load of nonsense? Why don't you put some positive suggestions if you feel so strongly about it? You got a stake in fracking or something like that?

You have been very vocal tonight putting your views on green energy etc forward can I ask what you would do to stop the energy crisis if you were the PM?
Yes you can; well actually you have...! The energy crisis cannot be stopped overnight. It is the result of decades of failing to recognise the country's real needs. However, as Iain Duncan Smith said in the Commons back in February, before Putin invaded Ukraine, it is madness to rely on what he called 'dodgy regimes' and also said that without gas the UK closes down. This is sadly now becoming something of a reality. We are also now told that we must be ready to turn our lights off "if the wind doesn't blow", which is a reality of the reliance upon the unreliable British weather even to plan a holiday let alone our energy supply. like it or not, we need to revitalise our conventional energy capabilities and 'get cracking with fracking' as someone said. Rolls-Royce have offered to build 16 mini nuclear power stations and this should be embraced. Net zero should be scrapped: the UK only emits about 1% of global CO2 even if you go for this stuff which I don't, therefore all the misery is for such a tiny fraction of the alleged climate change, again, if you go for all that which again I do not. My concern is for the far greater number of people who are going to truly suffer and perish as a result of this determination than ever died from covid. Proceeding with policies which condemn the UK's people into fuel poverty while on the other hand borrowing ever larger sums of cash to help them in whatever ways transpire is a double silliness. I have no problem whatsoever with whatever succeeds as an alternative, reliable, plentiful and affordable source of energy but what is now the real disaster is pulling the rug from under our feet before those options become plentiful, afrfordable and reliable, but that's politicians for you.

This has nothing to do with "going green" as you put it, and everything to do with energy wholesalers cashing in on a temporary shortfall of gas in Europe since Russia decided to kick off. Why are you talking such a load of nonsense? Why don't you put some positive suggestions if you feel so strongly about it? You got a stake in fracking or something like that?
My only interest is in helping people from having to choose between eat or heat. in my view it has an awful lot to do with going green because the methods are clearly incapable of saving us now we are in this current mess. I don't blame Putin actually; any more than I would blame a well-fed domestic cat for killing songbirds. It's what they do and since 2014 Putin has shown himself to be acting like Hitler, trying to reagain old Soviet territory. I blame Labour and Tory politicians for believing an ex KGB thug could ever be trusted.

Last edited:
It is amazing how many of the general public don't understand the energy market (not necessarily forum members).

We can't have a free market. Prices will be a lot more than they are now. Its costs 90p per kW for wholesale electricity, half of the current cost to the public. Only the top 6 companies survived the last 12 months because they are ones generating the electricity.

Back