Pump or hoist?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d suggest getting another bucket (if you haven’t already got one spare) placed on the floor (preferably on castors on the floor) to drain (gravity) the wort into. Then wheel the filled bucket near to the FV on it’s work surface and pump the wort into the FV. I have 12 volt mini pumps and they will pump up to 4 feet easily but can fall fowl of grain/hop debris so by draining into the bucket, possibly through a sieve, that risk will be significantly reduced. The pump that I use does not self prime so needs to be mounted lower than the initial wort level. I’d fit a tap to the bottom of the bucket and connect the pump to the tap. That’s my two-penneth :confused.:

I’d suggest getting another bucket (if you haven’t already got one spare) placed on the floor (preferably on castors on the floor) to drain (gravity) the wort into. Then wheel the filled bucket near to the FV on it’s work surface and pump the wort into the FV. I have 12 volt mini pumps and they will pump up to 4 feet easily but can fall fowl of grain/hop debris so by draining into the bucket, possibly through a sieve, that risk will be significantly reduced. The pump that I use does not self prime so needs to be mounted lower than the initial wort level. I’d fit a tap to the bottom of the bucket and connect the pump to the tap. That’s my two-penneth :confused.:
This does sound like a sensible plan.

I'd stear clear of those shelving units if you're intending to use it as a frame to support a hoist.

they're very thin metal and only have such a high load limit for a uniform distribution of the load. If you put a bar for example across the top, then hang your hoist you're likely to bend that side of the frame and then boooom

If it were me, I'd look into either scaffold tube or 2" plumbing tube (see my thread with my tap tower, that's 2" malleable tube)

The plumbing tube has the benefit of being threaded both ends making assembly pretty simple, whereas scaff tube can be a bit of a pain to get level.

With either route, you'd need 4 floor/wall plates for your feet - then whatever uprights you want for the height required. You may want some intermediate supports if you're going really high, or bolt it to the wall then it'll be rock solid.

plus you can have funky colours if that's your thing.

I'd personally go this route if I were making a support frame.

Ah - very good tip! I was assuming that they were made of something a bit sturdier like Dexian :-)

in fairness those ones might be, I just know I had ones that were 250kg rated (apparently) but were quite flimsy in any direction other than compression.

I know you'll be compressing with your hoist but any swing I think you'd bend them - or at least would've bent the one I had. I don't think I would've trusted it.

I guess you could make a wooden top frame, then run a post through that, then put the whole thing on top? so it spreads the load from the bar around the whole top surface rather than the centre of the steel frame.

in fairness those ones might be, I just know I had ones that were 250kg rated (apparently) but were quite flimsy in any direction other than compression.

I know you'll be compressing with your hoist but any swing I think you'd bend them - or at least would've bent the one I had. I don't think I would've trusted it.

I guess you could make a wooden top frame, then run a post through that, then put the whole thing on top? so it spreads the load from the bar around the whole top surface rather than the centre of the steel frame.
Yeah... mind you, on reflection I'd probably go to Wickes and get some angle iron :-)

See that's why I like scaff tube or threaded pipe - order it to size, no cutting, no welding. Easy.

Loads of connectors available. I think if I had access to welding equipment I'd use more angle or box etc, but tube makes life soooo simple.

Here’s my drinking table.
9FB504AF-50C5-4C0F-A9CA-B8FF045871E7.jpeg

I too don't like trying to lift the weight of my Brewzilla plus grain and water, or just wort when it's hot. I also take the opportunity to brew (or at least boil) outside when the weather is ok.
My solution is a bit crude, but I use one of these convertible sack barrow/trolley things because its easy to wheel around when required. I still have the issue of lifting up the malt pipe after the mash, but so far I'm not having a big problem with that. However, it occurred to me that it might be possible (with a bit of ingenuity) to build a frame onto the trolley from which you could hang a small hoist.
I accept that the tap on the Brewzilla is too low to fill the fermenter directly, but I fill a ~10l (sanitised) plastic pail from under the tap, and then transfer that to the FV. I've been doing it like this for a long time, and it works for me.

IMG_2465.JPG

I considered a 3 tier gravity system but decided to do partial grain partial boil. I could have split the boil in half and re combined into the fv at the end.

Oh this has got me thinking..... I'm a biker so this would by dual use for me:
1622038959388.png

Brewzilla on top.
Nice and low for mash in, whirlpool ect...
Raise it so the steam can get out of the window when on a boil.

and i like this...... when pulling the malt pipe out. The pipe can be fixed to the roof with a rope, then you can lower the all in one system.
Like taking an engine out my lowering the car.

Now on the wish list.

View attachment 47867

Brewzilla on top.

and i like this...... when pulling the malt pipe out. The pipe can be fixed to the roof with a rope, then you can lower the all in one system.

Now on the wish list.
Do you reckon you'd get enough height off it? Would your system fit on it? Bit scary balancing boiling wort on it!

View attachment 47867

Brewzilla on top.

Now on the wish list.

we're on the same mindset. I'd looked at one of these for the same thing. Low whilst brewing, jack it up for transfer into FV. It's something well worth considering.

I have looked at this sort of thing, but I don't have anywhere to store it and I'm hoping for a cheaper solution!
It's just something to look at to see what's available regarding options.
Part of my job is a manual handling trainer and I still hurt my back doing silly little things but makes you look at life in a different perspective as once it's gone it's gone then the limitations it imposes and trying to put a price on that well you just can't.
We can all improvise provided that we have what's needed at hand but when you don't we tend to look at its a few quid for this and for that and I'll need this or that and next thing you know you have surpassed the original which is a bit like home-brewing.
There are alternatives but just means searching around.
Cheap block and tackle with an A frame or use the big step Ladders in the back of the shed with a pulley and a bit of rope.
I had to stand on the bench to get my malt pipe out the other night and I'll not be doing that again.

Latest posts

Back