Pump over filtering (vorlauf)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This ia an idea, I have floating around to try.

After overnight chill, pump from the bottom, back into the top and through a filter. While the yeast is rehydrating, I am thinking it might catch some trub and the aeration is not a bad thing?

The post by @dtashmore gave me the idea. But I have a BM20 which pumps up through the grain bed, so using the grain bed as a filter would drop crib, not catch it.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea, bit like a post mash vorlauf. Though after an overnight chill is it necessary? I would have thought all the solids and trub will have dropped out especially if you're using kettle finings and you might risk churning things up by recirculating - not sure how effective the kettle finings are. I guess if you set the recirculation speed really slowly so as not to create any currents or vorteces in the wort that might pull settled trub into the pump then you wouldn't be creating work for yourself assuming your aim is to just filter out stuff stuck in suspension rather than purposely suck through the settled trub in order to capture it in the filter.

@hoppyscotty I like that. "post mash vorlauf" absolutely.
I should have mentioned, I will ferment this in the kettle. No fermentation vessels will be dirtied in the making of this beer.

So this is an opportunity for a gentle stir and perhaps 60mins to clean itself up a bit. I do use kettle finings and the do make a difference.

Necessary? Not sure. Very pleased with the beer quality at the moment, so am I fixing something that isn't broken?

Back