Pumpkin Spiced Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning a seasonal Beer using Kviek for a do at the end of October.

I was intending to do a Pumpkin Spiced Ale using a couple of Kilo's of Roast Pumpkin in the Mash, add some spice at the end of the Boil and probably use Hornindal to ferment at around 35 degrees c. But I'm wondering if I should just ditch the Pumpkin and do a Pumpkin Spice ale as it sounds like a lot of flaff.

Does the adding pumpkin to the mash actually make a difference or is it all just about the spices at the end of the Boil? Brulosophy suggests it probably doesn't do a great deal and that a good balance of "Pumpkin Spice" carries the beer with the flavour imparted by the pumpkin masked for most pallets.

I made a pumpkin coffee ale last year. It turned out fine but it was quite a bit of faff. Pumpkin in the mash and in the FV. The coffee probably took a little away from the pumpkin flavour, TBH. I doubt I will bother doing it again but it was a very drinkable beer.

I done one many years ago with roasted spiced pumpkin and a couple of Coopers kit cans. It wasn't half bad to be honest but it's a lot if you're drinking it on your own. I can easily drink half a dozen Bitters,pale Ales at a sitting but not many spiced beers. Probably great for a party.

There’s a couple of Pumpkin ales in the BYO clones book, they both use canned pumpkin purée which would make it simpler. I used to be able to get hold of it easily for making pumpkin pie but it’s sometimes hard to come by in the supermarket. Anyway, I think yes its mainly the pumpkin spices themselves that make the beer, rather than pumpkin itself, much like a pumpkin spice latte is all about the cinnamon and nutmeg, it doesn’t have any pumpkin flavour.

Pumpkin pie purée is a good bit more expensive than actual pumpkin. Especially if you buy them after Halloween. I've seen pumpkins for as little as 10p in November. I think I used 2 or 3kg of pumpkin in my beer. That would quickly add up if using purée.

Pumpkin pie purée is a good bit more expensive than actual pumpkin. Especially if you buy them after Halloween. I've seen pumpkins for as little as 10p in November. I think I used 2 or 3kg of pumpkin in my beer. That would quickly add up if using purée.
Yes good point, it is quite expensive compared to a pumpkin. Although the pumpkin ale in the book I mentioned only used 100g I think. Perhaps because it is purée you need less.

I made a pumpkin spiced ale last year, i put roasted pumpkin (with brown sugar) in the mash and also pumpkin puree out of a tin.
I made it both in keg and cask for a party and it went down really well. the pumpkin flavour wasn't too overpowering.
Happy to share recipe if you like.

I made a pumpkin spiced ale last year, i put roasted pumpkin (with brown sugar) in the mash and also pumpkin puree out of a tin.
I made it both in keg and cask for a party and it went down really well. the pumpkin flavour wasn't too overpowering.
Happy to share recipe if you like.

That would be great if you could.

I would have thought that if you're using roast pumpkin then this would add a lot of flavour as properly roasted pumpkin smells and tastes fantastic. Due to the caramelisation of course.

Latest posts

Back