Punk Rock/Hardcore etc..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
anyone into it? I need some new music to listen to...as far as new stuff goes i'm liking Man Overboard, The Swellers, The Wonder Years, Young Guns, Deaf Havana, Title Fight. As far as old stuff, Bad Religion, Stiff Little Fingers, Swinging Utters...

bad brains, circle jerks, black flag love it all. these days tho been listnin to loads of Faith No More and suicidal tendencies. also Nashville Pussy are great if i can think of more will post again.

ollie

Bad Brains would be my first advice ,"I against i" and "quickness" albums are their most heavy melodic , definitely the Cro Mags "age of quarrel" album . UK Subs "crash course" live album gives you a real taste of london circa 79 . MDC first album . Discharge "why" 12" and especially "hear nothing see nothing say nothing" album - on a par with Bach organ music ! Metallica "kill em all" album from 84 , all the punks were into it that summer , nothing like their later stuff .Venom ,"black metal" and "welcome to hell" likewise . The Clash , possibly the best live band ever and London Calling one of the best albums made for its variety and spontanaity . Of course The Ramones first 4 albums . Amebix are worth a listen if you can find the old stuff (I have it still !) to give you the oppressed atmosphere in the mid 80s , living in derelict houses etc . The Ruts are much overlooked these days but giants in their time .The Stranglers first 4 albums for the energy and barely suppressed violence .

I could go on for ever , and probably will if I dont stop now !

Not forgetting those CBGBs legends Reagan Youth, and californias Code of Honour .Dead Kennedys of course and DagNasty "can I say" album .

My wife from NYC adds Agnostic Front , Fear and Crucifix (the latter being the closest the yanks ever got to Discharge,toured here 84) .

from me , Subhumans "EpLp" has their first 4 eps and is their best work .For a taste of the politics of the time Crass , musically challenging but iconic . Canadas DOA "bloodied but unbowed" and "general strike" being the best , again toured here 84 ,a good year for gigs .

Zounds are playing gigs again ,as are The Mob , both without Joseph Porter on drums but original lineups.

Anyway , I see your Zounds and raise you "Rudimentary Peni" ! Hah ! :party: :grin:

Totally immersed in it... Some absolutely essential stuff has already been mentioned here, but you might also do well to check out some terrific 80's bands from Italy (Impact, Wretched, Indigesti, Negazione, Declino, Kina...), Spain (Antidogmatikss, TDK, Ultimo Resorte, RIP, Eskorbuto...), Norway (Bannlyst, Svart Framtid, Barn Av Regnbuen, So Much Hate, Kafka Prosess...), Holland (Lärm, BGK, Pandemonium, Jesus and the Gospelfuckers...), Japan (The Comes, Lipcream, Death Side, *******, Rocky and the Sweden) and of course Finland (Lama, Kaaos, Riistetyt, Kansanturvamusiikkikomissio, Painajainen, Kansan Uutiset, Rattus...). This one's for my fellow hardcore punk homebrewers :cheers:

This season I have mostly been listening to: Against All Authority and Anti-flag.. further alphabetical updates may follow.

Mr Finland ,with a name like "gurtpint" and you dont mention Disorder ? Shame on you !

Hit my doctor with a hatchet , now I got this special jacket, Rampton ! Rampton !

As mentioned, Wretched were a fine band as were fellow Italians RAF Punk and Cheetachrome Motherf*ckers .

And back in the UK , dont let us forget the early work of Ipswichs The Stupids .

shocker said:
Mr Finland ,with a name like "gurtpint" and you dont mention Disorder ? Shame on you !

Have mercy, kind sir. I was just thinking I might not dwell on the UK side of things, as the majority of the users of this forum are definitely lovable limey louts. Have to say that I do cherish the Bristol Trinity (Amebix, Chaos UK, Disorder). The Stupids? Hell yes! Generic, Heresy, Ripcord, ENT, Dan... So many great bands!!!

Shocker, this is a shot in the dark but your moniker makes me wonder whether you were by any chance doing a punk zine in the Northeast in the 80's/90's...?

Not me ! I was a Hackney Hell Crew charter member , vocalist of Eat **** , drove Chaos UK around , shared a house with them in Bristol , was in The Stupids briefly ,guitarist of God Told Me To Do It, etc etc etc ....but no zine in the north east .

That would most like have been Scruff from Hellbastard (I thought of the name !) . A guy called Clint released a live 7" of Eat **** from an 84 gig and a bloke from holland is releasing a split album of them and the Sons of Badbreath . The ES side was recorded at The Station in Gateshead in late 84 , gig put on by Scruff .Some of the tracks also appear on The Station compilation album .

You can find Scruff Pikey on Facebook , he will know about the fanzine as that was his part of the world back then .

The "Shocker" name came later , from the last of my sound engineering days when my work with big generators and 3 phase power at festivals caused other people some nasty shocks but never me . Plus I retired from that and was a pro skater again for a while with DLH and had the name tattoo'd across my back as big as there was space for . :party:

Pleased to meet you. The zine I had in mind was Punk Shocker from Newcastle, so you were not far off the mark. Could the Clint that put out that ES 7" be a bloke from OZ that used to live in London? Is that record still available and where could I get one? I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for that split-LP as well. I was corresponding with Ed Wicked Witch for a bit in the 90's when I was running a distro but it's been over 10 years since the last time we were in touch...

And what's this Station comp album? Know the venue by reputation but this one's gone under my radar. A recent release?

Back