Purging plastic kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickc

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still very new to this, so please excuse a pretty basic question. I'm just about to keg 2 x 40 pint brews into my King kegs. In the past I've just added 90gr of priming sugar, but should I also be purging the head space by firing in a 8gr co2 cartridge? Thanks.

Hi Mick,

No need to do both, one or the other.

If you use priming sugar... The priming sugar is munched up by the yeast that’s suspended in your beer and that produces CO2 - which carbonates your beer. This takes about a week.

If you inject CO2... You don’t need the yeast to produce it (so you don’t need any priming sugar) - the CO2 is there immediately.

There’s no great benefit one way or the other - low cost of sugar vs higher cost of CO2 bulb. Save a week using CO2 bulb vs takes a week longer to produce CO2 from the priming sugar. Take your choice, cost or speed?

That's great, thanks very much. Quite content to let it take it's time with the priming sugar. I was just worried I was missing something.

Latest posts

Back