Question regarding spraymalt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanB

Reaction score
Hello all ,

As some of you may know im starting my first brew this friday , I was after using medium malt extract to brew my stout but after nipping into my brew shop they only carry light and dark spray malt. I could order some medium off the net but the chance of it being here by frida is slim. So the question is would one of these be a worthy substitute ?

If you are brew a stout I would go with the dark spray malt. It will make it nice and dark and add a slight coffee taste. The light may make your stout paler in colour and is more suited to lighter coloured beers.

alanywiseman said:
If you are brew a stout I would go with the dark spray malt. It will make it nice and dark and add a slight coffee taste. The light may make your stout paler in colour and is more suited to lighter coloured beers.

Thanks alot mate , dark spray malt it is . Although Im not a fan of coffee or its taste I enjoy a pint of Guinness or Murphys which has said coffee-ish taste.

Hi. It shouldn't make too much difference, the darker the extract the darker the beer so as your brewing a stout I would just go with Dark Spraymalt. Dark DME alsos adds a more roasted/chocolately character to it (also desirable in a stout).

Or you can use Light DME and steep dark roasted grains to better control the flavour profile and add the extra colour you need. If your not steeping grains I'd just go with the Dark Spraymalt.

Happy brewing :D

BrewSage1985 said:
Hi. It shouldn't make too much difference, the darker the extract the darker the beer so as your brewing a stout I would just go with Dark Spraymalt. Dark DME alsos adds a more roasted/chocolately character to it (also desirable in a stout).

Or you can use Light DME and steep dark roasted grains to better control the flavour profile and add the extra colour you need. If your not steeping grains I'd just go with the Dark Spraymalt.

Happy brewing :D

Thanks alot for the advice mate :D glad I signed up here or I wouldnt have even got as far as stage 1 haha :cheers:

Back