Questions for Buffalo Boiler Users!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinchy

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Basically my boiler has been cutting out again.

It did this on my 2nd brew and I unatached the Thermal Cutout and taped it out of the way as in this link:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45764
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31796&p=302796&hilit=buffalo#p302796

That worked well for the next 2 beers but now its decided to cut out again on my latest beer (hefeweizen). There seems to be a lot more burnt wort on the element than before. I guess this is the cause?

Right so my main question is.....

If I remove the cutout and connect it up with a terminal block would this cure the issues I'm having and keep it boiling away constantly?

Thanks guys, :thumb:
Pinchy

Sorry mods! I don't think this is the correct place for the post lol. I wasn't paying attention obviously!

Cheers,
Pinchy

I had my cutout out of the way for my last brew - like you it did still cut occasionally, I'm pretty sure this was just the main thermostat cutting out. When it did cut it was only for a very short time. I've now replaced the 125C rated cutout with a 140C from Amazon so it's back in position, which is better safety wise.
The main thermostat is the long silver thing off to one side of the base. I haven't removed this on mine (or at least taped it out of the way) because I use mine as an HLT as well as a boiler so I want to keep the ability to control the temp - I can't see that it would cause a problem for that temp sensor to be moved apart from the loss of temp control

Dave1970 said:
The main thermostat is the long silver thing

Sounds exactly like the thermostat I just replaced in the fridge. I think the metal tube in full of gas, so careful not to damage ;)

Thanks Dennis.

Ok so if I were to remove both the thermostat and the thermal cut off it should be good to go?
I only use mine for BIAB so I don't really have any use for the thermostat. And if it's preventing a constant boil then it has to go! lol I'll have a go at it then post back here when I get the chance to use it again so hopefully other people with problems can see the options available to them.

Cheers,
Pinchy

Are you cleaning the inside after each use? If you get dirt building up on the plate above the element it will start cutting out.

I started scrubbing mine with a wire brush after each use, which solved the problem.

Yeah I clean it thoroughly I make sure it's spotless after every brew.
I can only guess that when I get the build up on the element during the boil the boiler thinks its much hotter than it is.

I've now unattached the thermostat and taped it to the legs of the boiler off the base hopefully this will do the trick!

Back