Buffalo 40l orange light

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatTulip

Reaction score
Hi All,

My Buffalo 40l failed towards the end of a boil. All I get now when turning on the power is an orange light. Having read a lot of posts on this, the consensus seems to be that bypassing the thermal cut out is the way to go.

What I thought was the thermal cut out (see circled in the attached pic) was connected up by two spade terminals. To bypass this component, I simply snipped off the spade terminals and connected the wires directly to each other using a 15 amp terminal strip from Maplin.

Capture.jpg

When I took my boiler out to test, there was no difference. All I get is the orange light. Some other articles I've read make reference to a thermal fuse but it seems that this doesn't apply to my boiler, a model CC193. At least, it isn't visible in the same location as I've seen elsewhere on the net.

Now, I'm also seeing some posts referring to bypassing the thermal switch which I assume is the big dial on the boiler which goes from 1-6 (see attached pic)?

Capture2.jpg

On my boiler, this switch is also attached to what looks like a thermostat/heat probe (black wire at bottom of switch, ending with small metallic screwdriver-like head). If I were to bypass this component, would it be like setting the boiler dial to 6 or maximum output? would it even work?

Any pointers or suggestions are appreciated !

Do you have a multimeter so as to test the live input from Switch to dial and basically break it down in stages and once you find you have input and no output there should lye the source of your problem.
If you haven't got a meter take the plug of a table lamp and connect your neutral/blue wire to the neutral in the boiler and use the live to test with.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Hi Gerryjo, thanks for the tip. I'll have to give it a go next weekend if I get the chance.
I guess it's going to be one of two things wrong - the thermal switch or the element itself..
Would I be right in thinking that the thermal fuse is somewhere inside the thermal switch (grey box)?

Latest posts

Back