Quick question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barticus

Reaction score
I have been talking to some lads on a football forum I frequent about this new hobby (trying to convert them) and have been asked this question.

How long are you keeping them in a bottled state? I've half fancied trying this myself but wonder about pasteurisation and also wonder how you actually bottle the beer and whether you know how to make sure any oxygen in the bottle is mainly DO2? (dissolved oxygen).

I have suggested he comes to these forums however if anyone has an answer I will pass it on.

Cheers

Bottled beer keeps a fairly long time. 6 months minimum but particularly stronger brews can keep for years. The aim when bottling is to minimise dissolved oxygen. There will be some oxygen in the headspace left in the bottle - a lot of crown caps come with an oxygen scavenging liner that is meant absorb this

Bottled home brew is usually ready to drink after about 4 weeks conditioning (though is often sampled sooner) and will last 6-12 months, maybe more depending on ABV, storage temp etc.

It's bottled with live yeast, i.e. it's not pasturised.

Bottling is easier than you might think... the easiest way, in my experience, being to use a £6 bottling wand that attaches directly to the tap on your bottling bucket and ensures no oxygen is introduced when bottling.

Hope this helps.

Dave1970 said:
Bottled beer keeps a fairly long time. 6 months minimum but particularly stronger brews can keep for years. The aim when bottling is to minimise dissolved oxygen. There will be some oxygen in the headspace left in the bottle - a lot of crown caps come with an oxygen scavenging liner that is meant absorb this

Thanks, I'll pass that on. :thumb:

be wary of keeping bottles of ale with live ale yeast beyond their shelf life as the yeast will break down (autolyse) over time and impart a marmite flavour. its best to test a bottle from the batch every now and then to determine the ideal conditioning time. this is longer for stronger beers and much longer for lager yeast beers.

I've still a few bottles that are from Sept / Oct 2010 4.8% 5.6% & 4.2% and all are perfectly fine (except there's not many left :( ) so they do keep very well :thumb: it's just having the will power to leave 'em, or box them up and set aside :oops:

Latest posts

Back