QUick Vinbrite Filter Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pondlife

Reaction score
I'm heading out this morning to buy a Vinbrite filter kit.

My question is: at what stage should it be used? Say I'm doing a WOW (which I always am nowadays!), do I use it at the bottling stage or before?

I think that it is used when the wine is almost clear. Moley I think is the expert but I'm sure he has said that it is for 'polishing' the wine. I have one but fined that I manage to clear and so never use it, mind you most of my wine is racked and left for 2-3 months somewhere cold before I bottle.

Cheers

AG

AG is right. After fining leave it for as long as your patience allows, if it's still not clear use the filter.
Also, if you really want to "polish" the wine use it on a clear wine before bottling. :thumb:

Both right. Filtering should only ever be an optional extra and isn't a substitute for patience, if you start filtering cloudy wines it will cost you a small fortune in filter pads. I've said before that I'm a tight-arsed git when it comes to things like filter pads, I pay £3.95 for a pack of 6 from Harris's own shop so I expect to get several gallons of wine through one pad. I polish most of my white wines, and occasionally some pinks, but never reds.

You can filter and then bottle at the same time, but with things like WOW I tend to use finings, filter a week later and then leave it for another couple of months before bottling or force-fizzing in a Corny.

Thanks for the helpful advice! :thumb:

I use finings too, but I sometimes find that there are still small particles of sediment which get disturbed and circulate through the wine when I move the DJs from the cool room downstairs for bottling. I thought the Vinbrite filter might sort that issue.

My hedgerow wine (rose hip) is maturing away in DJs, and I'll rack it off to fresh DJ's in February and let it stand for another 3 months before bottling, but I never thought of letting WOW-style wines mature in a DJ. I tend to bottle after a fortnight in the cool room and let it mature in the wine rack (also in the cool room).

Is there any advantage to leave the wine in a DJ for an extra couple of months rather than bottling and storing it?

pondlife said:
I use finings too, but I sometimes find that there are still small particles of sediment which get disturbed and circulate through the wine when I move the DJs from the cool room downstairs for bottling. I thought the Vinbrite filter might sort that issue.
Yes, it would sort that issue. However, you can minimise that issue without a filter. When you have to move a DJ prior to bottling, just because you have to turn a corner doesn't mean the DJ does. You have been designed with a rotating wrist joint specifically for this task, so with the DJ hanging at knee level with your arm straight, when you turn 90° clockwise, rotate your wrist 90° anti-clockwise. This may occasionally mean that you have to turn 270° or walk backwards. Also, if you plan to bottle in the evening, move the DJ in the morning so it has a few hours to settle again.

pondlife said:
I never thought of letting WOW-style wines mature in a DJ. I tend to bottle after a fortnight in the cool room and let it mature in the wine rack (also in the cool room).

Is there any advantage to leave the wine in a DJ for an extra couple of months rather than bottling and storing it?
Theoretically, yes. Wine is said to mature better in bulk, mostly because it is less susceptible to temperature fluctuations that way. In practice I have found that it makes very little difference, so if you need to get DJs emptied and re-loaded, go ahead and bottle.

Common sense answers which are very much appreciated.

Moley said:
...This may occasionally mean that you have to turn 270° or walk backwards...

You must have been speaking to someone who knows me well! :)

Latest posts

Back