R.I.P Thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BBC News - Rolf Harris has died aged 93, i was unaware he never apologised to his victims so i think i will say rot in hell rather than rest in peace.

Disgraced former entertainer Rolf Harris, who was jailed for a series of indecent assaults on girls, has died aged 93, it has been confirmed.
Harris was found guilty of a string of indecent assaults between 1968 and 1986 following a trial in 2014 - and was jailed for five years and nine months.
He was released from prison in 2017 - but never apologised to his victims.
Before his crimes came to light, Harris had been a fixture of family entertainment in Britain.
His death was confirmed to the PA news agency by a registrar at Maidenhead Town Hall.
Harris's family subsequently released a statement saying: "This is to confirm that Rolf Harris recently died peacefully surrounded by family and friends and has now been laid to rest.
"They ask that you respect their privacy. No further comment will be made."
The cause of death is not yet known.
Following a trial at Southwark Crown Court, Harris was initially found guilty of 12 attacks on four girls, mainly in the 1970s and 1980s.
One conviction, relating to an allegation he indecently assaulted an eight-year-old girl, was later overturned. But Court of Appeal judges dismissed his application to challenge the other 11 convictions.
The victims included two girls in their early teens and a friend of his daughter.

Queen's portrait

Before his crimes came to light, Harris had been a well-known figure in the entertainment industry in Britain and his native Australia for more than 50 years.
He arrived in London in 1952, aged 21, and went on to host a string of children's TV and variety shows as well as series about animals and art. Harris painted a portrait of the late Queen to mark her 80th birthday in 2006.
During his career he was made an OBE, MBE and CBE and awarded a Bafta fellowship, but he was stripped of the honours following his convictions.
At his sentencing, the court heard he was a "sinister pervert", who used his fame to get close to young women and girls.
"You have shown no remorse for your crimes at all," the judge told him. "Your reputation now lies in ruins, but you have no one to blame but yourself."
Harris served three years of his sentence at Stafford Prison in Staffordshire. After his release he returned to the home in Bray, Berkshire, he shared with his wife, Alwen - who he had married in 1958.
The couple had a daughter, Bindi.

BBC News - Rolf Harris has died aged 93, i was unaware he never apologised to his victims so i think i will say rot in hell rather than rest in peace.

Disgraced former entertainer Rolf Harris, who was jailed for a series of indecent assaults on girls, has died aged 93, it has been confirmed.
Harris was found guilty of a string of indecent assaults between 1968 and 1986 following a trial in 2014 - and was jailed for five years and nine months.
He was released from prison in 2017 - but never apologised to his victims.
Before his crimes came to light, Harris had been a fixture of family entertainment in Britain.
His death was confirmed to the PA news agency by a registrar at Maidenhead Town Hall.
Harris's family subsequently released a statement saying: "This is to confirm that Rolf Harris recently died peacefully surrounded by family and friends and has now been laid to rest.
"They ask that you respect their privacy. No further comment will be made."
The cause of death is not yet known.
Following a trial at Southwark Crown Court, Harris was initially found guilty of 12 attacks on four girls, mainly in the 1970s and 1980s.
One conviction, relating to an allegation he indecently assaulted an eight-year-old girl, was later overturned. But Court of Appeal judges dismissed his application to challenge the other 11 convictions.
The victims included two girls in their early teens and a friend of his daughter.

Queen's portrait

Before his crimes came to light, Harris had been a well-known figure in the entertainment industry in Britain and his native Australia for more than 50 years.
He arrived in London in 1952, aged 21, and went on to host a string of children's TV and variety shows as well as series about animals and art. Harris painted a portrait of the late Queen to mark her 80th birthday in 2006.
During his career he was made an OBE, MBE and CBE and awarded a Bafta fellowship, but he was stripped of the honours following his convictions.
At his sentencing, the court heard he was a "sinister pervert", who used his fame to get close to young women and girls.
"You have shown no remorse for your crimes at all," the judge told him. "Your reputation now lies in ruins, but you have no one to blame but yourself."
Harris served three years of his sentence at Stafford Prison in Staffordshire. After his release he returned to the home in Bray, Berkshire, he shared with his wife, Alwen - who he had married in 1958.
The couple had a daughter, Bindi.
We may need a RIH thread!

In fairness, as he consistently plead "not guilty", how would that be consistent with an apology?

It looks like he did apologise to one of his victims -

Rolf Harris guilty: The damning letter that sealed his fate

Damning piece of evidence produced during trial

Tuesday 01 July 2014 07:26

One of the most damning pieces of evidence that convicted Rolf Harris was a letter he sent to the father of one of his victims apologising for his behaviour.

In the letter, Harris talks of his self-loathing at his “affair” with a woman 35 years his junior but denied that it ever involved underage sex.

"Please forgive me for not writing sooner.

You said in your letter to me that you never wanted to see me or hear from me again, but now [the woman] says it’s all right to write to you. Since that trip up to Norfolk, I have been in a state of abject self-loathing. How we delude ourselves. I fondly imagined that everything that had taken place had progressed from a feeling of love and friendship – there was no rape, no physical forcing, brutality or beating that took place.

When I came to Norfolk, [the woman] told me that she had always been terrified of me and went along with everything that I did out of fear of me. I said ‘Why did you never just say no?’ And [the woman] said how could she say no to the great television star Rolf Harris.

Until she told me that, I had no idea that she was scared of me. She laughs in a bitter way and says I must have known that she has always been scared of me. I honestly didn’t know. [the woman] keeps saying that this has all been going on since she was thirteen. She’s told you that and you were justly horrified, and she keeps reiterating that to me no matter what I said to the contrary. She says admiring her and telling she looked lovely in her bathing suit was just the same as physically molesting her. I didn’t know. Nothing took place in a physical way until we had moved to Highlands. I think about 1983 or 84 was the first time. I can pinpoint a date was 1986, because I remember I was in pantomime at Richmond. When I see the misery I have caused [the woman] I am sickened by myself. You can’t go back and change things that you have done in this life – I wish to god I could.

Full article - Rolf Harris guilty: The damning letter that sealed his fate

😭

Still love listening to private dancer on part 2 of her career. went to see the musical - superb. And I can't stand musicals but it I would see it again in an instant. I'm glad she seemed to find peace in her life despite all she endured. life is a journey, live it. the destination is the same for us all.

I remember seeing Tina on her first tour in the 80s. Outstanding performance, and one of the best change of pace moments I’ve ever seen. After a series of massive tracks she dropped into “Home is where the heart is”. An awesome moment and will always be a treasured concert memory (among many, many concerts).

Jackson (centre) in 1967 with Marianne Faithful (left) and Avril Elgar, her co-stars in a stage production of The Three Sisters

1686834924185.png

Glenda Jackson, pictured in 1999 with then deputy prime minister John Prescott, was a Labour MP for 23 years

1686834828606.png

Glenda Jackson was transport minister for London when she visited Hugh Grant on the set of Notting Hill in 1998

1686834882840.png

Shadow culture secretary Lucy Powell, who worked for Jackson before becoming an MP herself, recalled the "incredibly kind" politician's "cutting humour" and "general disdain at most things".
"She was the definition of an icon, successfully spanning the world of acting and politics with great aplomb," Powell wrote.
Broadcaster and former Conservative MP Gyles Brandreth said she was "a wonderful actress, a committed politician [and] a remarkable human being".
"We became MPs on the same day in 1992 & I treasure our unlikely friendship," he wrote. "She was such a gifted, caring & special person who came into the world to make a difference - and did."
A spokesman for Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said it was "extremely sad news", adding: "His thoughts will be with her friends and family at this time."
TV presenter Carol Vorderman said: "To see this unique woman turn into a firebrand in politics was deeply impressive for young girls like me. May she rest in peace."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65916692

Craig Brown, the last man to take Scotland to a World Cup finals, has died at the age of 82.

The national team's longest-serving manager, he was in charge for 71 games from 1993 to 2001, qualifying for Euro 96 and the 1998 World Cup.
He was also on the staff for the 1986 and 1990 finals.

Brown managed Preston North End and Motherwell before ending his career at Aberdeen in 2013 and moving into a board position at Pittodrie.

"Since 2010 Craig performed the roles of manager, director, and ambassador," said Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack.

"Craig was a friend to all of us at the club, and a mentor and confidante to many.

"He was one of those rare individuals who was not only effective at what he did but universally loved by all who got to know him. A gentleman who loved his family, friends, and football."

Awarded a CBE in 1999 for services to football, the former Dundee and Falkirk player spent nine years as manager of Clyde, starting out in 1977 while working as a primary school headteacher.

Having impressed with Scotland as a youth-level coach, he was asked to join Alex Ferguson's backroom team for the 1986 World Cup and would go on to serve as Andy Roxburgh's assistant, reaching the 1990 World Cup and Euro 92 finals.

Brown replaced Roxburgh when the chain of qualifying for five successive World Cups was broken, firstly overseeing a 3-1 loss away to Italy as interim boss.

Thereafter, his overall record with Scotland was 32 wins, 18 draws and 20 defeats.

On the road to France 98, Scotland famously kicked off against no opposition in Tallinn as Estonia protested against a late change in kick-off time. After qualifying, Brown's team opened the tournament against Brazil in Paris, losing 2-1.

"Craig led the way in bringing sustained qualification to the men's national team, first as assistant to Andy Roxburgh and then in his own right," current Scotland boss Steve Clarke said on the Scottish Football Association website.

"He was a student of the game and I am proud to say that I followed in his footsteps by taking a Scotland team back to a major tournament.

"The thoughts of the players and my backroom staff go to Craig's family and friends at this difficult time."

A statement from former club Motherwell said: "An icon and influential figure of Scottish football, Brown will forever be remembered for his astonishing achievements within the game and as a likeable character on and off the pitch. He will be missed by everyone."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65956495

George Alagiah, one of the BBC's longest-serving and most respected journalists, has died at 67, nine years after being diagnosed with cancer.
A statement from his agent said he "died peacefully today, surrounded by his family and loved ones".
Alagiah died earlier on Monday, but "fought until the bitter end", his agent added.

After Alagiah's initial cancer diagnosis in 2014, the disease spread to his liver and lymph nodes, which needed chemotherapy and several operations, including one to remove most of his liver.
He said he was a "richer person" for the experience upon returning to presenting in 2015, and said working in the newsroom was "such an important part of keeping energised and motivated".
He had to take several further breaks from work to have treatment, and in January 2022 said he thought the cancer would "probably get me in the end", but that he still felt "very lucky".

Full article - George Alagiah: BBC journalist and newsreader dies aged 67

Latest posts

Back