racking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abi

Reaction score
ive got my 1st batch of beer brewing , burtons extra strong bitter, should i rack it into a 2nd fv when its finished? can someone tell me the benefits of this practice and is it the done thing? also if i batch prime do i just add the primer just before i bottle?

It's entirely up to you. The advantage of racking to a second fv and cooling helps the yeast to drop out thus resulting in less sediment in the bottles and a clearer beer. Some do it, some don't.

If you batch prime you mix the sugar with a little hot water to dissolve the sugar then add to your beer, generally in another bucket / fv just before bottling (some mix it with a little wort and heat on the hob until the sugar is dissolved).

In all of the transfers between fv's & bottles, be very careful not to splash & introduce oxygen.

The negative is that you run the risk of introducing an infection. Worth it if you're careful IMHO but others might disagree.

To batch prime, add the sugar before bottling. Dissolve it in a little warn water before doing so.

jonnymorris said:
The negative is that you run the risk of introducing an infection. Worth it if you're careful IMHO but others might disagree.

To batch prime, add the sugar before bottling. Dissolve it in a little warn water before doing so.
what do you mean? you run the risk of infection by racking into another fv? should i just stick with bottling from the 1st fv?

abi said:
what do you mean? you run the risk of infection by racking into another fv?

Everytime you open your brew, introduce a hydrometer, transfer it from FV to FV or from FV to barrel/bottle you run the risk of it coming into contact with something that isn't sterile. In other words, if you leave it alone there's less chance of something bad getting in there. The point may be academic but the cleaner the better.

Personally, I would (and do) rack it to a 2nd if bottling.

Latest posts

Back