raising temp at the end of fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just a thought but say if we pitched the yeast at a higher temp than we ferment at and as a result get more diacetyl produced from the first phase of yeast growth, could we then raise the temp again at the end to speed up the mopping up process? Thus avoiding fusel alcohol production and generally speeding up fermentation time??? :hmm:

robsan77 said:
Just a thought but say if we pitched the yeast at a higher temp than we ferment at and as a result get more diacetyl produced from the first phase of yeast growth, could we then raise the temp again at the end to speed up the mopping up process? Thus avoiding fusel alcohol production and generally speeding up fermentation time??? :hmm:

I am no expert, but isn't fermenting at higher than normal temperatures one of the principle causes of fusel alcohol?

Alan Robinson said:
robsan77 said:

I am no expert, but isn't fermenting at higher than normal temperatures one of the principle causes of fusel alcohol?

yes, but I'm on about raising the temp once all the sugar has been converted, when the yeast are on clean up duties.

Raising the temp at the end of fermentation will mop up some things like Diacetyl, but will leave fusel alcohols untouched.

one trick that has been tried, is taking batch of wort that has fermented warm (with high ester/Fusel Alcohols) and pitching it into a actively fermenting batch of wort at proper temperatures. . . The result was a cleaner wort with quite a reduced level of undesirable compounds . . .noticeable however, although below the taste threshold

Back