Rasputins Super Uber Imperial Rubber Ducky

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only a guess here. :wha:

Water has a gravity of 1. So if you do 1 part wort to 1 part water, then double the reading this should work as it is a linear scale.

Same as I thought I have had confirmation too by Text from an old knowledgeable one, One part wort to one part dist water equals half of the gravity :D

Here goes..................
The Grain Bill
GEDC00311.jpg

GEDC00321.jpg

The Borrowed tun in place
GEDC0034.jpg

Pre Heating Herms and Tun
GEDC0035.jpg

Doughing in
GEDC0037.jpg

I think we should stop
GEDC0040.jpg

GEDC0038.jpg

First runnings
GEDC0041.jpg

GEDC0042.jpg

Full and about to boil
GEDC0043.jpg

The Hops all 460grm of them for 90 mins
GEDC0044.jpg

The chiller coming out
GEDC0046.jpg

A bit of break forming
GEDC0049.jpg

Pouring in the yeast starter
GEDC0045.jpg

Filling the Fv
GEDC0048.jpg

Missed by a long way :cry:
GEDC0047.jpg

Well Had a mixed bag today

Everything went well until the sparge that was stuck tighter than a yorkshire mans wallet ( no offense intended )
Really had to work to get the dam thing running.
My mash efficiency was down to 51% :oops: Really lower than I expected. Overall efficiency was around 56%.
So We ended up with 40 ltr ish at 1.130 not the 1.175 I wanted :(
But the mash did produce a 1.059 stout @ 25ltr that still needs to boil tomorrow. I have had a 12hr brewday from start to finish I'm Knackered. Eddie was hurting after the 20min no stop doughing in. But energy was restored with sausage sandwiches around 1pm and bacon butties around 3pm.
I'm done in now If i think of anything more I shall post it later

The old style brewers would have 'mashed' three possibly even 4 times for this sort of gravity and just boiled until it was the gravity they wanted . . . Or do your first runnings . . . and put to one side . . . run off again and boil that down to hit the gravity of the first runnings . . . combine both and then boil to hit your desired gravity.

An impressive and valiant effort MD!
I think AM's hit the nail on the head, either that, or use a very long, slow, fly sparge.
BTW, where was Eddie's mug shot?

Well I give up.
20ltr of head space in the Fv for it to ferment in and It decides to pull an mount st helen's on me.

IMAGE_256.jpg

IMAGE_257.jpg

It's destroyed several parcels ready to ship, Will now need to repackage them up. and have sent 2 hours cleaning the garage instead of boiling my next brew and making false bottoms and tuns :twisted:

That's it I've had enough I'm going out to see something that will make me happy and calm inside

Looks a right state! I hate having to clear up any normal wort, never mind treacle like wort!

Is it just sitting in the garden at the mo? You could call it a 'feature'.

Hopefully 'From great FUBARs, come great beers'. :thumb:

Oh Nick . . . Just a quick warning when you pitch the yeast cake Watch out for the explosive ferment . . . Give it plenty of room in the FV

:whistle:

Really sorry to see this happening, having had the boil on my first brew the other day, I know that deep seated feeling of panic when you realise everything is covered in wort... only for the deep, chilling realisation that what's even worse- is that you've lost beer :eek:

Hopefully what's left will turn out superbly though! Give it time! :)

Naughty naughty little Yeasties.
So many of you, given so much snap in one go, you should have had better manners than to pig out!
I would give them a very severe talking to MD.

Back