Re: Festival Razorback IPA Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reply guys.

Is the sediment a product of the hops or the yeast?

I was planning on letting it ferment down to 1005 then rack to another bucket to clear and then bottle. Not sure how long it might take to clear. I also have a wine filter so could maybe use that once clear when I bottle?

I guess I'll add the hops tonight, this will be day 8 and see what happens. I haven't taken the gravity yet as I didn't want to open it up and disturb the co2 layer for nothing. Will add hops and take gravity tonight.

Got this kit on order and looking forward to it, especially after reading the outstanding review in the OP! :hat:

If you are thinking of departing from the kit instructions I would rack it off to a secondary vessel then dry hop in a sterile muslin bag. Add as much hops as you want but choose the variety carefully. You may be getting excess "grapefruit" due to the type of hops being used. Do some research and add some that you prefer.
I added 50grams of Cascade for 5 days in the secondary stage to an IPA and the result was stunning. On a par with commercial Real cask ale.
75 grams is a fair whack! I am not sure which type has a grapefruit character to it, I think it is the Centinel.
If you need to leave it while you get the hops you want then I am sure it won't hurt.

Added all hops from kit last night (2nd) gravity was 1.017. Temp still at 20.5c. There was a lot of foam and a ring around the bucket so with a sanitized steel large spoon I mixed it all in as it looked like had a ton of yeast in it. Should I have done that??

Question about the little syphon bag that comes with this kit: I use the Coopers FV and Bottle straight from the tap on the FV via a bottling wand.
Should I put the hop pellets in the bag first to reduce the pellet debris, use a cafetierre to make a hop tea or just throw the pellets in as per the instructions and not worry about it?

Initiated this Sun 13 Oct at OG 1049. Dropped to 1020 after a week. The only time I've ever seen a gravity reading of 1020 has been in posts about stuck Wherry's! ;) I've yet to see this much Krausen still present after a week. Gave it a gentle stir and moved it to a slightly warmer room (from @19C to around 21-22C) and it has since dropped further to 1012 on Fri 25 Oct where the hop pellets were added direct to the FV. Sun 27 Oct and the gravity is around 1009 (target is 1005 - I'm doubting that will be achievable). This is a slow ferment by comparison to the other kits I've done (Cooper's and Woodforde's). Smelling sweet and looking a lovely golden colour, although it has clouded slightly since adding the hops. Hoping to bottle this next weekend which would give it three weeks in the FV.

If you can, get the FV really cold for a couple of days before bottling and this will help the hops to drop to the bottom.

Yep, that was the aim. I'm away from home til Thu night, so have no choice but to leave it as is 'til then, then move to the garage until maybe Sun and bottle then.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Awesome. Beer- brewed exactly as instructions. Has been in the bottle for about 4-5 weeks will be gone soon... only problem is i can't order any more at the mo cause the only HBS that stock it in Ireland have run out :( Hoping they get some in again soon as i wanted a stock of this for Christmas. Definitely will try out their other brews :D

Yes do. I've done a few now. The Golden Stag is spectacular, I've just bottled a Ltd Ed Elderflower brew and bought another one on the strength of the smell of it brewing. I've done the IPA, which I felt was over primed, and the Landlord, which I was slightly disappointed with. But overall they are fantastic brews and well worth the extra couple of quid

Im kegging this in the morning. 1004 it has reached and smells like nothing else I've ever made.

Three weeks in the bottle and I'm loving this. Slight grape fruit taste but I kinda like it. Defo buying this one again.

So Impressed with this kit -

Brewed to instructions (other than left in FV 3 weeks due to being away on business) and bottled early last week.

Checked bottles tonight and they are ridgid already so popped one into the fridge as a test - and OMG what a pint it was - best I've ever brewed thus far - I would happily drink this in a bar in town - going to move into shed soon to condition - if this only gets better Im going to be very happy ;-) :cheers:

Ive just done this as a first kit with no prior experience.

Took some to work to test and got these results after secondary fermenting for a week

Abv - 6.2
Pg - 7.43
Og - 54.9
Ph - 4.28
Col - 25.1 ebu
Bitterness - 60.4 ibu

According to my hydrometer readings and calculator I should have got 4.9% Abv.
I've been told that the amount of yeast/hop matter in the liquid probably affected the hydrometer.
Tested on an Anton Paar alcolyser and density meter so I know the abv to be true.

It smells and looks good

About the extreme bitterness thing,

I had this with a St Peters IPA. After a few weeks you had this painfully strong bitter aftertaste but after 3 months it is absolutely fantastic.

I want to give this kit a go.

Gutted with my kit brewed exactly to instruction having done many kits and its overcarbed beyond belief.All the beer rushes out the bottle.I can only assume that there was too much priming sugar in my packet.

I did contact ritchies to let them know but 3 weeks on still no reply great customer service there.Even if was to only achnowledge it and that there may be a processing issue with the kits.

beerlover1983 said:
Gutted with my kit brewed exactly to instruction having done many kits and its overcarbed beyond belief.All the beer rushes out the bottle.I can only assume that there was too much priming sugar in my packet.

Exactly to instructions? If so, I'll bet it wasn't finished fermenting when you bottled it, hence the gushing perhaps?

GavH said:
beerlover1983 said:

Exactly to instructions? If so, I'll bet it wasn't finished fermenting when you bottled it, hence the gushing perhaps?

Nope checked gravity over 3 days and down to expected .Having done several of their other kits and many other brands can say ive never had this happen.I can only say dont trust whats written on the priming sugar packet.

Latest posts

Back