Re-Uploaded New cider brewer here.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callumbo20

Reaction score
Hello all
Reuploading this post as it appears my first was not approved for what ever reason?

I am a new brewer that is giving cider a go. I have ordered a kit from eBay that includes the barrel, yeast, tubes, sanitiser ect ect. All that is needed are apples or apple juice.
I was hoping to get some advise beforehand to give a better result.

Ideally I would like to achieve the percentage of between 5 to 8% ideally. So tips on this would be brilliant.

I have access to brewing sugar.

Which apple juice should I approach? Sadly as we are currently through winter here, apples on the apple tree are non existent :(

What sort of room should the cider be placed by?

It doesn’t matter whether it’s fizzy or still...

Any other tips would be great.

What kit was it, one like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Home-Bre...370087&hash=item35ccf2c9a7:g:F-cAAOSw6xJbvb3V
Where are you? In the UK?

There's a whole thread on brewing cider from supermarket juice. I buy mine from Aldi (£0.55p/litre). Take into account the (approzimately) 110g of sugar in the juice, which might give ~6% ABV!

You can also buy "concentrated juice in a tin", i.e. "cider kits", like the beer kits, but with material for cider instead of malt extract.

I would recommend starting with a "boring" recipe to get the hang of the thing, before thinking about "interesting" ingredients. I do trial brews in 2L bottles, like the below. Sometimes the result is drinkable. Sometimes there are nice surprises. Sometimes, they fry the taste-buds and overwhelm the bowels. Oog.

Attachments

• IMG_20210107_193135[1].jpg
    IMG_20210107_193135[1].jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 38
What kit was it, one like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Home-Bre...370087&hash=item35ccf2c9a7:g:F-cAAOSw6xJbvb3V
Where are you? In the UK?

There's a whole thread on brewing cider from supermarket juice. I buy mine from Aldi (£0.55p/litre). Take into account the (approzimately) 110g of sugar in the juice, which might give ~6% ABV!

You can also buy "concentrated juice in a tin", i.e. "cider kits", like the beer kits, but with material for cider instead of malt extract.

I would recommend starting with a "boring" recipe to get the hang of the thing, before thinking about "interesting" ingredients. I do trial brews in 2L bottles, like the below. Sometimes the result is drinkable. Sometimes there are nice surprises. Sometimes, they fry the taste-buds and overwhelm the bowels. Oog.

No, it was the kit below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cider-Ma...790648?hash=item35cf83d6f8:g:SUYAAOSwuMZbetWN
Im in Peterborough (Cambridgeshire), fortunately its not snowing just yet. But bloody cold :(

I shall venture to the super market for some juice and give it a go, I shall also have a flick through the Cider part of this forum too.

Looks good. It's cold here too, I've lit the fire. You'll have to post results/method, I have not made a cider kit for mumbleyears, but have a 2 beer kits on the go at the mo, though, one "winter warmer", one "Mexican lager".

The Mexican one from Wilkos was an idea once as per the Desperados from the supermarket caught my fancy, but as a fairly new brewer, I’d like to take it slowely for now...

my father currently has a few going, wine, ale ect ect

I'd suggest having a go with apple juice (typically referred to as turbo cider).

I tend to get mine from Lidl for no other reason that it comes in 1.5L cartons, which are usually about 85p a go, and so 3 will fill a demijohn nicely with a bit spare. Oh, plus Lidl is closest to me.

I haven't done a cider kit for ages as the old turbo cider is usually quite good to be honest and is cheaper. It tends to be fairly dry which I like, but I often also pimp it up adding Lowicz fruit syrups etc.

I'd suggest having a go with apple juice (typically referred to as turbo cider).

I tend to get mine from Lidl for no other reason that it comes in 1.5L cartons, which are usually about 85p a go, and so 3 will fill a demijohn nicely with a bit spare. Oh, plus Lidl is closest to me.

I haven't done a cider kit for ages as the old turbo cider is usually quite good to be honest and is cheaper. It tends to be fairly dry which I like, but I often also pimp it up adding Lowicz fruit syrups etc.
Took a ride to Aldi today, they supply 1L apple juice, but it’s from concentrate 👀

will perhaps await for the freezing weather to become a little warmer before starting this

Apple juice from concentrate is what most people use so don't worry. I tried using the fresh stuff years ago and couldn't really say that it was much different from memory.

Back