Real Ales for the home brewer - Marc Ollosson

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
Another book I was told to get when starting out.
A breif decription of processes and ingredients but mainly this is a recipe book with around 130 something recipes
You'll not learn much from it but the recipes are great and with a wide variety, and no sugar in sight :thumb:

This was the first book I ever bought and it's served me well. If you we like me at the time, very apprehensive about formulating your own recipes, then you cannot go wrong with this book.
The recipes are tried and tested and I've never made a bad beer from it yet, on the contrary, all the ones I made were great. If you get the opportunity to buy a copy I'd thoroughly recommend it, even for the experienced home brewer.
Having talked to Marc he pointed out a printing error to me in the book for one of the recipes, page 115, Bridgend Best Bitter should read 3835g Pale Malt, 245g Crystal Malt and 65g Challenger as bittering addition.

I got the pdf version of the book and it looks really good apart from on thing, the book states that "the yeast strain used can be the most influential ingredient you put into your beer". Yet most of the recipes do not seem to recommend the strain of yeast to use.

So if I am going to brew the Styrian Stunner what yeast would people recommend?

+1 i have been making beers from this book for a month or so, by a long way the best recipe book for all grain home brewers.

The choice of yeast to use makes a great difference to the beer, however its also depends on personal choice. Most recipes never give details of what yeast to use.
That makes learning difficult, I would suggest that if any doubt you post a question and ask more experienced members what yeast they would suggest for that " style " of beer...slowly you will build up your own knowledge bank...

Got this a couple of months ago and so far have made three of the recipes.

The layout is familiar, a la Graham Wheeler, with the recipes organised by region and then a large section of additional ales and stouts etc.

Overall this is a cracking book. Easy to follow, with all the relevant information. The recipes are varied and interesting with good input from the author that helps you choose what to make next from the 130 on offer.

I just got this and the recipes look really good, and so cheap as a PDF download. if you want all the recipes you will ever need this is the book for you.
Cheers Marc, :cheers:

I bought this a while back but haven't made anything from it yet. Anyone got a list of favourites they've brewed?

Harviestoun Schiehallion.

I did a slightly different recipe from Abey but it's not that different at all - it's an astonishingly good pint.

Glyder said:
BunkerBrewer : The Orkney Raven Ale :thumb: :thumb:

calumscott said:
Harviestoun Schiehallion..

Thanks both! Nice to narrow down all that choice :)

Might have a go at the Flowers IPA too - I remember that from my youth in the West Country.

You'll need a fermenting fridge for the Scheihallion though... It's a lager and deserves to be fermented properly and lagered for a month or so.

calumscott said:
You'll need a fermenting fridge for the Scheihallion though... It's a lager and deserves to be fermented properly and lagered for a month or so.

Yep, not a problem :thumb:

Although... maybe I need a second fermenting fridge... :hmm: :)

bunkerbrewer said:
calumscott said:

Yep, not a problem :thumb:

Although... maybe I need a second fermenting fridge... :hmm: :)

I wonder if they breed as quickly as FVs...?

I bought this book today as the result of this thread, looks good but when I tried to save it to my HD it came up with an error message saying that the "Document was encrypted"

I've dropped Marc an email, but has anybody else had this experience and if so did you overcome it?

Anyone got a list of favourites they've brewed?
Firm fav's of mine brewed multiple times
Styrian Stunner (the original smash under various guises))
Market Best Bitter (all Styrian brew...there's a trend starting :lol: )
Flowers Original (a great brew)
Bosun Best Bitter, Thorshead and Amber Rambler.
The only recipe that I wasn't so keen on was Hunky Dory...just to much biscuit for me.

Latest posts

Back