Recipe advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian_68

Reaction score
Hi.

I input an AG recipe into the Beersmith 2 tool i'm currently using, for a stout. The recipe steps state to primary ferment for 4 days, then secondary for 10.

The 4 days primary is contrary to what i've read on this and other forums; is this correct i.e. do stouts have a short primary and long secondary by nature?

My OG was 1.052 - Wyeast Labs Irish Ale 1084 yeast being used.

I'm fairly new to this so any advice is welcome.

Cheers

I'd have thought that 14 days was more like it for a primary ferment. Check the final gravity for 2 or 3 days at the end to make sure it's stable, then bottle/keg for secondary.

Or does it mean use a second FV after 4 days to get it off the trub? Seems a bit early if that's the intention.

The recipe was obviously created by a brewer who likes to get the beer off the trub asap. Ive never noticed any difference in doing this....trust your hydrometer. or do what I do and leave it for 2 weeks fermenting

Thanks lads. I think i'll go with instinct and leave at least 7-8 days before checking SG for the first time. Once SG is stable, rack straight into my king keg for secondary yes? Do i add the conditioning sugar at this point?
Cheers

Sorted cheers.

Just been playing with BeerSmith 2 and i found a hidden tab which allows you to change primary and secondary length in days. 4 days is a default value. I knew it couldn't be right.
2 weeks it is lads then at least 10 days in secondary before cold store to clear.

Everyday a school day eh ;-)

4 days is way too soon. I routinely go 3 weeks in primary and then bottle or keg. I sometimes go even longer for strong ales or lagers. It takes a fairly long time to have problems from setting on trub or flocculated yeast.

Back