“Conditioning: 4 weeks at 12C”

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CeeJayCee

Reaction score
I’m brewing an Oatmeal Stout from the Greg Hughes “bible”.

It’s currently in my fermentation bucket in a temp controlled fridge.

I’m planning to cold crash for a few days (for the first time) when fermentation is finished. Then I’ll bottle it.

The recipe says “Conditioning: 4 weeks at 12C”. Should I do this in the fermentation bucket, rack to a secondary bucket, or do it once bottled and carbonated?

Thanks Clint.
You said at ferm temp for two weeks, which is what I've done previously. But the recipe says 12°C for 4 weeks. I presume there will be a difference in the beer? All the recipes in his book have different conditioning times.

Conditioning is done after your beer is packaged (bottled or kegged) and carbonated. So after your beer is bottled and carbonated (usually for 2 weeks at fermentation temperature) you then condition for 4 weeks at 12C.....as @Clint says "if you can keep your paws off it" :laugh8:

Conditioning is after you bottle. So bottle and leave for two weeks at fermentation temperature. Then leave alone for four weeks at 12 if you can :)

Sorry to regurgitate an old thread, but how was the Greg Hughes Oatmeal? Planning to brew it this weekend.
Recipe seems very light coloured for a stout. Not much roasted barley. Almost dark ale.

It was ok, but I ruined it by over-carbonating.

It's definitely not as roasty or dark as I thought it would be. It looks black in the glass, but held up to light its more dark brown.

It's drinkable, but I'm not sure if I'd make it again.

Thanks for the info. His recipes are usually good, but I was staring at Brewfather thinking, that does not look right for a stout.
I have another recommended oatmeal stout recipe from homebrewerassociation website which has a ton more roasted malts. Think i'll adjust the recipe a bit.

Back