Recipe for Mead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liz

Reaction score
I’ve been given a good lot of honey, can some please post a recipe for mead. I’ve searched the recipes but can’t find one. Thanks.

I made some as a bit of an experiment back in 2017 using bog standard Asda 'Pure Honey'. I had no idea as to what quantities of honey to use hence the absurdly high OG.

2 x 908g jars Asda pure honey
Added water to make up to 1 gallon
1 tsp citric acid
2 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp Young's super wine yeast compound
OG 1130 (not sure about that reading now that I look back at it)

After a week or so I added another tsp each of yeast and nutrient (@1090)

Two weeks later it was down to 998 (making about 17% abv if my initial sg was correct)

I made two 1 gallon batches, one I left as just mead the other I added 10 chopped apples* to the FV on day 1 (to make a cyser)

I still have a bottle of each and can confirm that it does improve significantly after a few years so not a short term drinking project if you aim for a high abv.

*I used red-fleshed Rosette apples that I have growing in the garden for the red tinge and sweet flavour.

Attachments

• Rosette.jpg
    Rosette.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 0
Thre pounds of honey per gallon, a good dollop of yeast nutrient as its seriously needed and a good high alcohol yeast. Now some batches will ferment out in three weeks and others (identical ones) will sulk and take months. No idea why but I discussed this with a pro and he said yep its a bugger....

PH

Latest posts

Back