Recommend me a AG book please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vindiv8

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a AG book that thakes you through the process and includes recipes. One that can be used as reference and encorage me to try new things would be good.

Cheers

Graham Wheeler brew your own british real ale, havnt got it myself yet but apparently a good book. Im sure other people will correct me if im wrong. :thumb:

Yes, I would go with Graham Wheelers book. He brought out a revised edition last year and it will talk you through the process and also give you the recipes for some well known ales.

I assume you have read the AG How To by BrewStew as its very thorough as well.

"Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels is also an excellent book. Some of the recipe data are a bit dated but the concepts are all sound. Lots of great info in there on how to create your own AG recipes.

I started off with the Wheeler book, found it very good, but the Lines one also gets good reports. :D

IMO, books seem to either cover the recipes well or the methodology/theory well.

Wheelers BYOBRA does pretty well with the basics of brewing and the recipes are good as well.

Personally; if I've wanted a bit more depth on subjects, I've gone for specific books.
Recipe books for me are just that.

ATB :D

I started with Dave Lines book and went on to Graham wheelers. Both are very good and a have place on my bedside cabinet

IMO Wheeler covers more than just "the basics" and is a good foundation without confusion. After reading that, this forum and doing a couple of brews you will have the crucial ingredient in a brewer, experience.

For value for money John Palmer's How to Brew is a great resource (albeit American-centric).

Graham Wheelers Book
John Alexanders Guide to Craftbrewing
Homebrewing Self Sufficiency JOhn Parkes is a great basic - This is how brew beer from kits / extract and all grain, without getting bogged down in any detail.

Avoid a lot of the US books as they have access to all sorts of ingredients/equipment that we do not. They also tend to get bogged down in areas of minutiae forgetting that it doesn't really have a massive impact.

Aleman said:
Avoid a lot of the US books as they have access to all sorts of ingredients/equipment that we do not. They also tend to get bogged down in areas of minutiae forgetting that it doesn't really have a massive impact.

I'm not convinced by this argument, I've yet to find US equipment/ingredients that aren't available in the UK or, in the case of equipment, easily made. The detail is of interest if you like to understand the technical reasons behind certain practices but is easily skipped.
All brewing books need to be read with an open mind as there are many ways to make beer that all work.

Rich C

Dunfie said:
I assume you have read the AG How To by BrewStew as its very thorough as well.

Yes I have, and very good it is too :clap: I will be following that when I have my very first AG brew day and Sunday! :thumb: Although I won't be following the receipe (not that I don't want to give it a try), but using it as a guide to what to do and when.

I want something to read in bed really, get some ideas, pick out some receipes etc.

Thanks everyone for your help, going to look out for the Wheeler book first I think.

When you are first setting out to brew AG, Dave Line's "Big Book of Brewing" is a very good guide to using everyday bits of kit, without having to raid the "Piggy Bank".
You then move on to other books, methods and modern equipment.
Eventually a lot of us finish up with PIDs, HERMS and big shiney things!

Latest posts

Back