Record breaking brew day...Now with Pics

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieDS

Regular.
Reaction score
Today myself and Paddy brewed 9 different SMaSH extract brews, as a way of testing out various hops.

We dissolved some light DME in hot water then split it into 9 batches of 2 litres each and boiled them, each with a different hop.

We used:
Cluster
Fuggles
EKG
Saaz
Tettnang
Bravo
Bramling cross
Styrian goldings
And a combination of fuggles and EKG for the 9th.

Is this some type of record or can someone beat 9 different brews in a day? :D

I think it broke my back!

But a worthy sacrifice in the name of science (or in the name of beer drinking :drink: )

Did you boil each batch 60 mins ? that's 9 hours of just boiling .
I hope you give a detailed tasting report :thumb:

Yes come on Photo evidence you know the rules :lol: :lol:

And I think the 9 beers will have to be adjudicated by a member of the mod team to make sure that they are in fact 9 different Smashes. :whistle: :whistle:

Truly a labour of love.
Please post back once the tastings have been done.
I did something similar last year using 6 different yeasts ( your record is still well safe ), the difference in flavours was really surprising.RD

:rofl: I'm taking it this adjudicator would be yourself graysalchemy?

It was labour alright.

I'll fire a few pictures up after work if Stevie doesn't get to it first.

Since we didn't need to worry about the hot break and were working with smaller batches we only boiled each batch for 30 minutes.

We did 3 x 3 boils and with prep and work in between took us about 5 hours.

Looking forward to writing taste notes!

We added the hops at 30 mins, 10 mins and at flame out.
Not exactly ideal but the most practical for small batches, and the idea of hour long boils didn't really appeal.
We also tried to keep the bitterness to around 25-30 IBU for them all because the point was to test the flavour and aroma of different hops without being overpowered by the bitterness.
We'll try to get some photographic evidence up soon :lol:

Some Pics as Promised:

20131215_155819-768x1024.jpg

20131215_155826-768x1024.jpg

20131215_170604-1024x768.jpg

20131215_173455-1024x768.jpg

20131215_220928-1024x768.jpg

20131215_221416-768x1024.jpg

Would have loved to do an AG brew but, lacking a lab, it would have added too many variables.

So we decided the extract route was better considering it was just the hops we were experimenting with anyway.

Will definitely be doing a grain taste profile experiment at some point in the new year which will be multiple AG brews!

Though I think 9 would be a bit of a push! :lol:

Might be more like 4 :whistle:

Need to get a few actual brews on the go first though. I'm running low on beer! :(

Hey Scubabrewer

It means Single Malt and Single Hop.

As way of an update these were bottled last night and should be ready in a phew weeks.

Should be fun.

Wow that's epic, nice one lads. Looking forewords to a detailed tasting report! T

Thanks Paddy, I thought it was something to do with mashing! Hope the expt. is a success, but I'm sure it'll be fun just doing the tasting. Like the idea of the PET bottles. I have a 20L second FV so will store excess before kegging in a couple of 2L sparkling water PET bottles. Cheers.

5L plastic bottles from Tesco as miniFV's or demijohns

Hi StevieDS - great idea, I'll get some. I make cider each autumn and they will make great storage vessels as it takes 9 months to mature. Cheers Scubabrewer.

Another 2/3 weeks and counting down.

Looking forward to cracking these open and seeing how they turned out (or if they turned out) :whistle:

Would love to give it a try again only this time with more of an international flare about it...maybe add some citra, saaz, spalt, galaxy, ekg, etc...

Maybe not so many in one go though. I'm too young to die ;)

Back