refractometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use one. They are good for checking the gravity towards the end of the boil to ensure I'm going to hit my intended OG. You only need a tiny sample, which is much easier to deal with than cooling 250-300ml of boiling wort for the hydrometer.
My hydrometer only goes up to 1050, so I also need it to check the OG of any bigger beers.

can you give any indication as to their accuracy ?
I understand that they can be calibrated, but in use any idea on how they compare with traditional hyrometer reading ?

As Markmark says they're great for testing the gravity during/after the boil and getting an indication. Much easier than trying to cool a few hundred ml of wort, and of course it doesn't waste any as only need a tiny drop.

Mine seemed pretty accurate, when I first used it before pitching the yeast I tested with my hydrometer and my refractometer and they gave the same reading.

I find mine pretty accurate. Always within a gravity point either way....but I have not gone to the trouble (yet) of calculating a proper correction factor as from what I've read the difference is so small.
I calibrate mine during each brew to 0 using purified water (takes less than a minute), test the wort and multiply by 4.
For example: 11 brix - 11 x 4 = 44; giving an OG of 1044.
The biggest problem I have is getting the right light conditions to get a solid bar that can be read against the refractometer scale.....my conservatory in full daylight gives me the best results.

:thumb:
thanks to you both for useful info.

Yep I use one too Brian, if you have an iPhone there is an app called brixcalc.
As most refractometers have a brix scale with this app you enter your original brix and your final brix and it works out your ABV.
This way you can use your refractometer post fermentation as well as post boil etc :thumb:

Also don't forget to calibrate it first with some DI water.

cheers Simon.

The web site shows this to have 2 scales in the viewfinder, 1 Brix and the other for SG, we shall see.

my local pet shop sells that pure water so I'll pick up a small amount next week to calibrate it.

You can't read the scale post ferment as the alcohol content skews the reading of these instruments hence the need of calculation or app to give you the corrected result.

Otherwise it looks like your fermentation has stopped early!
And that is how I found out ;-)

yes I understand the device is not good to use after the wort has been fermented and alcohol is present, its purely pre ferment to measure the sugars.

Still need the trusty hydrometer for final FG.

I like to check gravity after mashing and before boil to check the brew is on target, at the moment its not easy having to wait for your sample to cool, so to speak... :lol:

cheers John....dont have an iphone.... :oops:

Santa bought me one about 4 years ago. At first I was well pleased but the problems I found with it were, Brix conversion - tried 3 or 4 on line converters both for before and during fermentation and all gave different readings, not by much but different. When I first got it I would double check with hydrometer and again may be a point or so different, no big deal so for a year or so I only used hydrometer. Then one brew I thought the reading was well out so checked with hydrometer and it was well out. Only use now towards the end of sparging, the more important readings it's back to the hydrometer. Spoke to the owner of my LHBS, he seems to think you need to spend at least £70+ for a decent one, one day maybe.

Cheers Dennis thank you for that, I'll keep a check on that

Latest posts

Back