refractometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've no doubt they will be running in tandem at first......

piddledribble said:
I've no doubt they will be running in tandem at first......
Keep meticulous notes, and you will be able to calculate a proper correction factor to use to convert brix to OG :thumb:

We use all the time we also calibrated every 2 weeks with distilled water as temperature will affect it otherwise very good :cheers:

thanks for that..is yours one of these medium prices meters or an expensive one ?

I think once you get to a high ABV the refractometer is useless

mine always reads 1040 SG once the ABV is over about 16%

1040 before and after sugar feeding :-(

I don't think any calculator can compensate for this :lol:

you will see when a calculator is no longer going to help
the blurry line will be sharp again

basically once fermentation is over about 6% - 8% ABV I use the hydrometer

mine arrived yesterday ( 3 days in post... :thumb: )
first impressions favorable I like the look and feel of the instrument. Calibrated and to be used first time in anger with tomorrows brew

Never had any problems with mine, and using the 'sugar point system' it has to be good, otherwise every batch would be to cock :roll:
Tips and norms, always cover the window area in liquid without bubbles, tilt liquid bubble to rear and as lowering glass move liquid forward, more liquid is better than less...and most importantly, keep the glass cover pressed down, othewise you may get blurred results....and always wait for the a few secs before taking readings as they may be 'skewed' by initial liquid temps (you can actually see this happening sometimes)
Another thing, always keep in mind the reading will be at whatever temp the body of the refractometer is, ie room temp, whatever that may be, so adjust accordingly if taking time to take reading . I tend to take a reading after a few seconds and that's good enough for me.

Latest posts

Back