Removing burnt on grain from mashtun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomR

Reaction score
This is my first use of a Klarstein mashtun and on emptying after the boil I found a fair bit of burnt on gunk.
I've tool quite a bit off but to the the last will mean scratching the stainless steel bottom which is rather not do.
Have you any ideas on best way of Removing?
Ta Tom

Oxy is good, but I found acid is the best thing for removing burnt stuff. Put some vinegar on it overnight and tomorrow it should come away a lot more easily.

The best thing I've found is lemon juice. Cover the burnt stuff, leave it to soak for a few hours then a gentle scrub with the smooth side of a dishwasher scrubbing pad does the job.
I used to suffer with that on every brew till I changed from muntons propino malt to crisp. Still get a little bit but it never needs a soak now

Cheers. Tom

Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW) for removing organic material then citric acid for lime scale.

Ta folks. I've never had this issue before. I brewed 25lts of Budvar with 5kg of lager malt. Any thoughts on why it might have burnt? And any suggestions to prevent future problems?

It was on the base of the mashtun above where the element is situated.

When I brewed using a Buffalo boiler the element always got scorched, they haven’t got a lot of surface area/watts. Citric acid removed it very quickly.

Test by soaking in lemon juice.

Looks like I'll be keeping a bottle of lemon juice in my cupboard then

I've got some citric acid can I ask do you boil water with it in it or do you leave it to soak?

Ive used food grade citric acid in granular form. With a small amount of water to make a paste. Mildly abrasive and still does the job without scratching it too much. Sea salt will also work. But citric acid is better. Smear the paste on and come back to it after a while.

The granulated stuff can be found on ebay/amazon I got mine listed under home made mozzarella kits.

Back