Resting Cap (or flip top) on bottle before bottling at cold crash temps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BasementArtie

Reaction score
I am wondering if bottling at cold crash temps of 0-3C then leaving the filled bottles (I sightly over fill to reduce headspace) with a loose cap (or flip top) resting on top as you go will allow the liquid to warm slightly to release co2 from the solution before capping if left for 10-20mins? If so would this purge most of the "air" out by itself?

I am wondering if bottling at cold crash temps of 0-3C then leaving the filled bottles (I sightly over fill to reduce headspace) with a loose cap (or flip top) resting on top as you go will allow the liquid to warm slightly to release co2 from the solution before capping if left for 10-20mins? If so would this purge most of the "air" out by itself?
I always do that anyway, my method is to batch prime fill a bowl which 12 pint bottles , fill with little bottler put on cap then put them on the counter till all 12 are filled with the loose caps on , and during this process you can hear little burps, then I secure the caps and put in a box which holds 12bottles and repeat until all bottled ; so I really do think it’s makes difference and by the way I do overfill the each bottle to about five mils from the top 👍🍻

I always do that anyway, my method is to batch prime fill a bowl which 12 pint bottles , fill with little bottler put on cap then put them on the counter till all 12 are filled with the loose caps on , and during this process you can hear little burps, then I secure the caps and put in a box which holds 12bottles and repeat until all bottled ; so I really do think it’s makes difference and by the way I do overfill the each bottle to about five mils from the top 👍🍻
I do it a little bit different I use a syringe to measure out a sugar solution to each bottle then bottle wand to about 10ml headspace and then cap. I may have to add leaving the caps loose to my regime. I wonder if the off gassing of co2 is enough in quantity to remove all air from the headspace. I also add a tiny bit 0.1g of SMB for a 19L batch to my priming sugar so hopefully a combination would work.

You would be better to cap on foam IMO in other words straight away as the co2 being released forces out the air i.e that is the foam also you do need to leave 1/2 inchish for carbonation not right to the top

You would be better to cap on foam IMO in other words straight away as the co2 being released forces out the air i.e that is the foam also you do need to leave 1/2 inchish for carbonation not right to the top
How do you cap on foam when you're bottle conditioning and not kegging/bottling from a keg?

Also I've bottled 2ml headspace in the past with no Carbonation issues. I just struggled to pour it without spilling, that was the main issue.

I guess you are bottling using a syphon and bottle wand so when you are filling a bottle it will produce some foam just by the agitation of the beer going in the bottle then you cap straight away.
The headspace is for production of CO2 when it is carbing up in the bottle

Why are bottles never filled to the top? The space at the top of any sealed container (“ullage”) is to accommodate volume increase if the liquid expands. The gas above will pressurise, liquid won't and is likely to burst the container with no headspace to expand.
Hope this helps

I guess you are bottling using a syphon and bottle wand so when you are filling a bottle it will produce some foam just by the agitation of the beer going in the bottle then you cap straight away.
The headspace is for production of CO2 when it is carbing up in the bottle
I use a bottling wand and there is zero agitation or foam. I don't know how I would achieve this.

Do you cool your bottles down as you are bottling at low temps, if the bottles are at a close temp to the beer it will not foam much but if your bottles are warmer they should create some foam.
Most brewers have the opposite issue to you and create too much foam as they are not able to cold crash to zero or slightly lower hence they use bottling guns like the Blichmann

Do you cool your bottles down as you are bottling at low temps, if the bottles are at a close temp to the beer it will not foam much but if your bottles are warmer they should create some foam.
Most brewers have the opposite issue to you and create too much foam as they are not able to cold crash to zero or slightly lower hence they use bottling guns like the Blichmann
I bottle at cold crash temperatures so between 0-3C, the bottles are at room temp normally between 15-20C however in winter the bottles would have been close to 2-4C and the in summer up to 30C and consistently never any foam whilst filling from a bottling wand.

Very unusual as I said the difference in bottle temp and beer usually creates foam, don't know what to say lets see if somebody else adds to it athumb..

I bottle at cold crash temperatures so between 0-3C, the bottles are at room temp normally between 15-20C however in winter the bottles would have been close to 2-4C and the in summer up to 30C and consistently never any foam whilst filling from a bottling wand.
Use a bottle wand as well and never had any foam produced. Bottled at room temp and direct from fridge.
Both methods have produced zero foam.

I also use a bottling wand and never get sufficient (any in fact) foaming to "cap on foam". The only "foaming" I get is the starsan bubbles from the reside of what is left in the bottles from my cleaning/sanitisation routine.

I've put cold beer into cold bottles, warm bottles, warmish (10 deg) beer into cold bottles....never seen any significant difference in the foam.

I generally "fill" the bottles, rest a cap on top...do 19 more bottles then seal them properly. Then repeat for the next 20 bottles etc etc.

Yes a little bit of burping occurs but i'm not sure that it is enough to purge the headspace. For the majority of the beers I make oxidation isnt really a concern.

Latest posts

Back