Retailers "own brand" kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just done the 'Traditional Yorkshire Ale' from Worldwide Brewery Classics sourced via Hampsted Brewing. See photo, a single can kit. It's worked fine - dark brew - but personally I thought very little flavour and taste. However, it's a long time since i grew up drinking Tetley's in Yorkshire and maybe my tastes have moved on.
Strangely enough, my current tapped keg is a Bulldog Pennine Peak Yorkshire Bitter and I'm finding it quite dark also.
I'm hoping to get one of their Design A Brew Craft Packs, Cardinals ale in a month or two. @dowden87 has done one and says it's very Abbot like. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned although I'm sure I'm in the minority with that.

Cheers Tom

I have just done the 'Traditional Yorkshire Ale' from Worldwide Brewery Classics sourced via Hampsted Brewing. See photo, a single can kit. It's worked fine - dark brew - but personally I thought very little flavour and taste. However, it's a long time since i grew up drinking Tetley's in Yorkshire and maybe my tastes have moved on.
I was looking at this one earlier. The cardinals ale had hop pellets as well as the hop extract. Drop hamstead homebrew a message and let them know. I brewed the Cornish ale too which had hop extract only and that got plenty of flavour.

I've done four brews sourced from Hampsted now; all worked fine - though the Orange Moon wasn't too my taste (me, not the kit). The lager and Two Rabbits were great. If Wobblygob is from them too - well my daughter and her friends drank the lot.
What lager did you brew ? Was it the Pilsen Barr lager?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-05-16-37-53-22_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-05-16-37-53-22_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 0
Yes; bottled a second one; I enjoyed the first time. I added another 25g of Saaz hops this time.
Sounds great. I've currently got a Czech pilsner from hamstead homebrew fermenting. My favourite kit from them so far have been cardinals ale :-)

I think the malt and grain deffinately makes a difference. I know someone who made this kit and he said it was great
Are you saying that there's extra malt and grain in the Bishops "A" kit as well as the Cardinals? Or just that someone you know did the bishop's and they rated it highly?

Cheers Tom

Are you saying that there's extra malt and grain in the Bishops "A" kit as well as the Cardinals? Or just that someone you know did the bishop's and they rated it highly?

Cheers Tom
Sorry for the misunderstanding I believe there's no extra grain with the bishops kit.

Latest posts

Back