rhubarb wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astraman1

Reaction score
ok made abit of a ghetto rhubarb wine i didnt take any measures but its nice and strong this could be a good one

i added 2 kg of rhubarb about 1.2 kg of sugar and prob about 100g raisins with a touch of citric acid some pectolase and a tsp of glycerine and made it up to 4 litre and struggled to get it to start but it did eventually and today it has fermented out to just below 1.000

ive just had a little taste and it has a nice twang to it i think it has a lot of potential so ive just added a campden tablet and a tsp of pottasium sorbate to stop it fermenting anymore now i have 1/2 a litre to top it up i was thinking apple juice as it has retained it rhubarb flavour

are there any other recomendations as to what to top it up with

I have been planning Rhubarb wine, and have several different ideas for combinations. I plan to do a 5 gallon of rhubarb, then split into 1 gallon batches towards the end of fermentation and top up with fruit juice, planning to choose out of the following: rhubarb and raspberry, rhubarb and orange, rhubarb & vanilla, rhubarb & strawberry, rhubarb & ginger, rhubarb & clove, plain rhubarb. If using raspberry or strawberry, I'll be using fresh and doing juice extraction with a bit more sugar, orange would just be fresh squeezed orange juice added and the vanilla, clove or ginger ones would just be added straight to dj - although may need vanilla extract rather than pods, not sure yet :) Should be getting my rhubarb tomorrow to get started :)

I made a few batches years ago. It was good but needed a good dosing with precipitated chalk to reduce acidity. It certainly doesn't need additional citric acid.

All of the batches that i made retained a slight haze and i never did pin down exactly what was causing it.

I have just made a gallon of rhubarb and Im surprised to see the difference in colour on that link - mine fermented to dry and I stopped it but instead of being pink ish mine looks a lot like cloudy lemonade :wha:

I've just checked on the gravity and it's down to 1.030 from 1.082 , but I'm a little worried that it's stuck :wha: will have to see what happens this week. :pray:

the one i made last year was pinkish and this year its lemon colour

i know alot on here say dont add citric acid but it really hasnt ruined it its added a nice twang

mine are both sweet wines and the acid is not that strong to me suppose its down to personal taste really ive added apple juice to it so we will see what it does when it clears

Latest posts

Back