RickBuck Brewery - Coopers Brewmaster IPA Tweaked (pics)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdave

Reaction score
Well, it's been a few weeks since I did any brewing so it was about time I filled an FV. Considering it's a Bank Holiday Weekend, it would have been rude not to do a brew :party: I'd been reading THBF and watching a lot on Youtube, Craigtube in particular so I was well prepared for yesterdays visit to my LHBS. I ended up buying a few more kits as I've not bought a 33ltr shiney to go to partial extract / BIAB. Whilst shopping I bought a Munton's Premium Gold Smuggler's Special Ale, Di and Danny's Golden Ale, various bits'n'bobs and the following ingredients for this here brew:

Coopers Brewmaster Selection Indian Pale Ale
500g Hopped Light Spray Malt
700g Brewers Dextrose
0.5oz. Amarillo Hops (bought last time I went to LHBS)

I'd been very keen to try out a hop tea so I decided that today was the day. I started by arranging the ingredients
dsc05268u.jpg

Lets take a peek at those hops!
dsc05269kk.jpg

Ok, lets weigh out what we need
dsc05274rq.jpg

Just to make sure!
dsc05275s.jpg

I made sure everything was sanitised and ready for its turn during the brew. I was planning on boiling 4ltrs of water for the hop tea but 3ltrs was all my current stock pot could hold (allowing another half ltr to sparge the hops). Right then, here goes.

Water on and bring to just under a boil
dsc05273f.jpg

Lets add those citrusy clusters!
dsc05276k.jpg

Steep for 10mins
dsc05277j.jpg

However at the 8 minute mark my nose was telling me to stop as the freshness smell was starting to go. I managed to hook the bag from the extractor hood controls and let it drain then I sparged with 0.5ltr of hot water
dsc05279ge.jpg

At this point I forgot about the camera and just got stuck into it. I poured the hop tea into my FV1, warmed the tin of liquid malt extract and poured into FV1, rinsed out with another 0.5ltrs of hot water and mixed thoroughly. I then added the 500g of Hopped Light DME, mixed until dissolved and then added the 700g of Dextrose. I then gave it another thorough mix and added cold tap water to the 21ltr mark.

At this point I remembered the camera as it was time to take my SG reading
dsc05282vg.jpg

Looks to be about 1044/1045 to my eyes so I was happy with that. I then gave a final mixing to aerate the brew, sprinkled on the yeast and fitted the lid along with the aquarium heater and airlock and popped FV1 under the stairs.
dsc05285ry.jpg

So, all in all I'm really pleased I tried out the hop tea addition as it was nice and easy. I need to buy a new shiney 33ltr stock pot and a more sensitive/accurate set of scales. Then I can start thinking about partial extract or BIAB but for now I'm going to finish off the kits I bought yesterday. Thanks for sticking with this brew diary and as allways, any comments are most welcome :cheers:

Update - this has been bubbling away furiously for the last few days. Not much was happening re the airlock on the first 2 days at it turned out I had a small leak around the hole I'd made for the aquarium heater. Extra PTFE tape was deployed which fixed the problem but it reminded me that I must buy a selection of grommets to seal things up properly.

How much are the Amarillo Hops?

This was my 1st brew brewed with coopers BE2 and although I pitched the yeast at 27 degrees :eek: and only left it for a week in the fv and a week in the warm, it was great and now its a couple of months old, this is the brew that everyone seems to love! So i might give this a try if the hops are easy to get hold of.

warnie said:
How much are the Amarillo Hops?

This was my 1st brew brewed with coopers BE2 and although I pitched the yeast at 27 degrees :eek: and only left it for a week in the fv and a week in the warm, it was great and now its a couple of months old, this is the brew that everyone seems to love! So i might give this a try if the hops are easy to get hold of.

The hops were £4.50 from here http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... acked.html Apparently they do an excellent delivery service if you want to order from them.

Back