Ritchie's Festival Oaked Apple Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyPitralon

Reaction score
Well, I have to say I wasn’t hopeful for this one. When I opened the box it looked more like a chemistry set:
  • Not one but TWO kilos of brewing sugar
  • Apple concentrate
  • Dried fruit pieces
  • Sweetener
  • Enzyme
  • Yeast
  • Oak chips (more dust than chips)
  • Apple flavour pack
I used the enzyme because I had the hope it was in there for a good reason (not that I could give you one). But, as with other kits, I flatly refused to put in the apple flavour (either it tastes of apples or it doesn’t) and the sweetener. Then I left it on the yeast for 10 days.

The trouble is, it has left me in a bit of a pickle, because I am about to eat humble pie. Having tasted it just before racking I am forced to say it is the best kit yet! There is a crisp but fruity dryness more like the apple wine I am used to from Germany. I am not sure the fruit pieces have added much to it but there is a subtle hint of oak. Its party trick is to have a delicious dry flavour without having lost its appley bouquet.

Damn, I absolutely love this one. It’s delicious.

Good to hear! I felt the same upon opening the kit (coming from all grain brewing to giving cider a go the kit did give me "chemistry set" vibes)

I was also debating not adding the sweetener/apple flavour, having followed the kit through to the end do you stand by your decision of omitting these? I do prefer ciders on the dry side and I do want it to taste of apples.. real apples.. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back