River Thames 'severely polluted with plastic'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A world record not to be proud of.

The River Thames has some of the highest recorded levels of microplastics for any river in the world.

1595324470627.png

Scientists have estimated that 94,000 microplastics per second flow down the river in places.

The quantity exceeds that measured in other European rivers, such as the Danube and Rhine.

Tiny bits of plastic have been found inside the bodies of crabs living in the Thames.

And wet wipes flushed down the toilet are accumulating in large numbers on the shoreline.

Researchers at Royal Holloway, University of London, are calling for stricter regulations on the labelling and disposal of plastic products.

They warn that careless disposal of plastic gloves and masks during the coronavirus pandemic might make the problem of plastic pollution worse.

"Taken together these studies show how many different types of plastic, from microplastics in the water through to larger items of debris physically altering the foreshore, can potentially affect a wide range of organisms in the River Thames," said Prof Dave Morritt from Royal Holloway.

"The increased use of single-use plastic items, and the inappropriate disposal of such items, including masks and gloves, along with plastic-containing cleaning products, during the current Covid-19 pandemic, may well exacerbate this problem."

The scientists point out that the Thames is cleaner than it used to be with respect to some pollutants, such as trace metals.

Where does the plastic come from?
Fibres from washing machine outflows and potentially from sewage outfalls, plus fragments from the breakup of larger plastics, such as packaging items and bottles, which are washed into the river.

Katharine Rowley of Royal Holloway said it's unclear why there's such a high density of plastic in the River Thames, but called for people to think about the plastic they use and throw away.

"People can make much more of a difference than they might think," she said.

What is the plastic doing to wildlife in the river?
Some animals living in the river are ingesting microplastics, including two species of crab.

Crabs contained tangled plastic in their stomachs, including fibres and microplastics from sanitary pads, balloons, elastic bands and carrier bags.

"Upon bringing these crabs back to the labs at Natural History Museum, it was shocking to find that they were full of plastic," said study researcher, Alex McGoran.

"Tangles of plastic were particularly prevalent in the invasive Chinese mitten crab and we still don't fully understand the reason for this."

Clams near the wet wipe "reefs" contained synthetic polymers, some of which may have originated from the wet wipes and other pollutants found on the site such as sanitary items.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53479635

It's a shame and a disgrace! But...there's loads of people who don't fancy doing much who could get out there and pick it up....

Not only in the Thames but fish in the ocean are found to have micro plastic in them, just recently there was a report out from the UK that micro plastics are now being found in vegetables and fruit, being taken up through the plants roots.
Its a shame that it is being discarded the way it is, doesn't need much of a brain to put plastic items in a recycling bin.

It's not going to solve the issue though. What about dealing with the scum who put it there in the beginning.

I agree but how do you do you get them top stop?

Here is a perfect example of what the scum will do, this is a local beauty spot that attracts hundreds of visitors when the weather is fine (Ulpha bridge below is popular with jumpers) there are 3 sets of bins on the road and the council recently replaced the old tired ones with new ones, within a couple of weeks some idiot had painted graffiti the front and because the bins were overflowing they had dumped bags of rubbish by the bin, (see picture below) this is a common sight even though the council empty them regularly, is it too much trouble to take litter home when it wont fit in the bin?

These bins are approximately 5 ft tall so are not too small for the purpose.

1595678499030.png

IMG-20200722-080439538-HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 1595678473155.png
    1595678473155.png
    592.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
The Cuyahoga river through Cleveland, Ohio in the states actually caught fire in 1969. Something ignited all the oil and **** in it. You are not there, yet.

Chippy I take your point about taking your rubbish home, but at least people are leaving it in carrier bags by the bin. I have seen many times, as I am sure others have too, young yobbo types throw McDonald burger and fries wrappers, boxes, drink cups straight on the ground when there is an empty litter bin right there no more than 2 feet away FFS!
That's what gets my blood boiling.....:mad:

Chippy I take your point about taking your rubbish home, but at least people are leaving it in carrier bags by the bin. I have seen many times, as I am sure others have too, young yobbo types throw McDonald burger and fries wrappers, boxes, drink cups straight on the ground when there is an empty litter bin right there no more than 2 feet away FFS!
That's what gets my blood boiling.....:mad:

I've seen middle aged "mobbo" types do that too, emptying the rubbish out of their Nissan, then the ash trays too... That could just be an issue with where we live though, that the elderly and middle aged are as bad and hardly leading by example. I've seen elderly men in suits and flat caps, walking along with their stick, stop, clear their throat, then spit it out into the middle of the pavement.... There was a time doing dirty tricks like that was considered to be something only "yobbos" did..... Then they hit middle age.

Interesting to see everyone is reacting to the photo of plastic rubbish in the OP whereas the actual post is about MICROPLASTICS. I suppose it's easy to shout abuse at people who don't recycle or throw rubbish away instead of taking it home etc. But microplastics are being dumped into the environment by all of us. Manmade fibres from our clothes every time we wash them, artificial carpets, even tread from our tyres, millions of tons of it every year worn away on the road and all of it washed into rivers every time it rains.

Actually, I just forgot to put the point on my post, but so sick of the "let's blame young people" habit (that has ALWAYS happened even before any of us on here were born) that I forgot to add it.

Before ANY real change can happen in this world, people need to STOP playing the "who can we blame?" game, and just change themselves. That's how real change is effected. Pointing fingers whilst going "wasn't me that did it" just continues the cycle. Oh and no, not just virtue signalling. We don't own a vehicle, we walk and use public transport. Our toothbrushes are bamboo. We switched to a bean to cup machine instead of a pod coffee machine (the grounds go into the compost bins we have). Bar soap instead of liquid.... We're still working on the rest.

Industry needs to change too though, as governments are very good at getting us to blame each other, whilst ignoring the fact that industry pollutes more than individuals by a huge degree. As long as governments can keep us looking at each other though, instead of looking where we need to look, won't happen. Just taking your examples of clothing and carpets, last I looked people buy what is easily available and that they can afford, and guess who decides this? It isn't us and that's for sure.

As to the way people responded, well yeah, why do you think they put a photo of piles of plastic rubbish on the banks of the river? Basic psychology that we respond to what we see more than what we can't see.

Back