RO water and CRS/AMS

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritzpoll85

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm certain I read that there was no point using CRS /AMS to lower pH on RO watt because there's nothing fot it to work on. But my calcs suggest I need a little something for my brew this evening and I'm out of everything else.

Will it do or do I need to take my chances?

I'm sure it would be possible to cobble something with CRS/AMS, but it would be a bit of a trick, certainly not something for "take my chances".

You don't need to lower the pH of your RO water, which'll be pH 7.0-7.5 anyway. pH of the water you'll use is immaterial. The pH after all the grain is added ... now that's of interest.

RO water is dreadful stuff for brewing beer. It can make a base for adding stuff to, but you've said you haven't any "stuff". Its other effective use is a "dilutant" for unsuitable tap water. Have you considered that?

I'm sure it would be possible to cobble something with CRS/AMS, but it would be a bit of a trick, certainly not something for "take my chances".

You don't need to lower the pH of your RO water, which'll be pH 7.0-7.5 anyway. pH of the water you'll use is immaterial. The pH after all the grain is added ... now that's of interest.

RO water is dreadful stuff for brewing beer. It can make a base for adding stuff to, but you've said you haven't any "stuff". Its other effective use is a "dilutant" for unsuitable tap water. Have you considered that?
I'm adding in the minerals I need to make it suitable (otherwise, yeah, it's a bit rubbish and dead for brewing).

On the Brewfather calculator,it is telling me I'll be a bit high on the pH - the bulk is extra pale pilsner malt. It recommended CRS/AMS, but as I say I wasn't sure if it would actually work - when I say I'm out of other stuff, I mean other acids, sorry

... and I'm out of everything else.
Apologies, I took this to mean you hadn't any additions.

What you making (a "lager" I guess)? What you using to calculate water additions? There should be loads of wanna-be water chemists lining up to provide their wisdom. Don't know where they all are?

Anyway, if you have to rely on me, I'm bound to point you towards diluting your tap water profile. 'Cos I developed this:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oxOsH7iupwt2b1ApD44ZZxPx419P-YqQ?usp=sharing
... earlier in the year which should strip any water report you have down to absolute basics (six ions) and not blind you with all that "Hardness, "as CaCO3", and Alkalinity twaddle (just try to fill the six boxes at the top without descending into the "grey area" too far, or better, not entering the grey area at all). I'll keep banging away at this spreadsheet until everyone is lying on their backs pleading for me to stop.

If you need more help from me (the Defuddler doesn't do dilutions, relies on the water profile calculators for that), provide me those 6 figures and I'll see what I can do (be quick!). If you've time you might read about the Defuddler's development >here<.

Sorry, you have provided this:

On the Brewfather calculator,it is telling me I'll be a bit high on the pH - the bulk is extra pale pilsner malt. It recommended CRS/AMS, but as I say I wasn't sure if it would actually work - when I say I'm out of other stuff, I mean other acids, sorry

It's an American calculator, and for some reason some "influential" brewers over there are scared to death of adding Calcium salts. Without them your mash acidity (as pH) will be too high.

Apologies, I took this to mean you hadn't any additions.

What you making (a "lager" I guess)? What you using to calculate water additions? There should be loads of wanna-be water chemists lining up to provide their wisdom. Don't know where they all are?

Anyway, if you have to rely on me, I'm bound to point you towards diluting your tap water profile. 'Cos I developed this:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oxOsH7iupwt2b1ApD44ZZxPx419P-YqQ?usp=sharing
... earlier in the year which should strip any water report you have down to absolute basics (six ions) and not blind you with all that "Hardness, "as CaCO3", and Alkalinity twaddle (just try to fill the six boxes at the top without descending into the "grey area" too far, or better, not entering the grey area at all). I'll keep banging away at this spreadsheet until everyone is lying on their backs pleading for me to stop.

If you need more help from me (the Defuddler doesn't do dilutions, relies on the water profile calculators for that), provide me those 6 figures and I'll see what I can do (be quick!). If you've time you might read about the Defuddler's development >here<.
I like this! But I think this is for the next brew - the RO does waste a fair old bit.

I've added my salts (I think they are definitely needed) and the smidge of AMS/CRS the calculator suggests. Think I'll be close enough....if not, I'll know on about two hours!

Sorry, you have provided this:

It's an American calculator, and for some reason some "influential" brewers over there are scared to death of adding Calcium salts. Without them your mash acidity (as pH) will be too high.

I don't understand the reluctance to use salt especially given their preponderance for using RO water

Oops, "Brewfather" is actually Norwegian! But I guess must pander to the "American Craft Beer" bunch 'cos it's where the market is. But although I take a swipe at the low Calcium contents, the AMS/CRS will handle the pH fine (Americans have trouble getting hold of AMS/CRS anyway, they'd use Phosphoric Acid). The low Calcium can result in hazy beer too (allegedly).

Have fun. I'd like any feedback when you do use the Defuddler BTW.

Last few brews I've been diluting with RO water from Spotless and it works great at reducing the buffering capacity of my tap water reducing the amount of acid (or even eliminating it) needed to bring me within the ideal mash ph range.

I never trust the ph calculators...they never work out to be particularly accurate in my experience. Could be that the profile of my tap water is not that accurate...but then tap water can vary over time so unlikely to be consistent from week to week/month to month compared to whatever your annual report says.

Latest posts

Back