Road to alcoholism

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen people have their lives taken over by alcohol. They usually drink wine or spirits when they have an addiction. I also know a few big beer drinkers and they are very over weight. I drink approximately 10-12 pints a week and often have a dry day. I am starting to get a beer belly now I'm mid 40s but enjoy my beer so am happy with that.

I cycle the three miles to work then up a massive hill (thats what happens when you work in a castle)and back and it seems to do the trick combating beer gut

My better half is also a non drinker.
She keeps me from overdoing it,and dont mention hops

Like wise though I hide my hops in the drawer of frozen curry sauces...and then make new ones from scratch .

I have seen people have their lives taken over by alcohol. They usually drink wine or spirits when they have an addiction. I also know a few big beer drinkers and they are very over weight. I drink approximately 10-12 pints a week and often have a dry day. I am starting to get a beer belly now I'm mid 40s but enjoy my beer so am happy with that.

Of the big beer drinkers - is weight the only problem they have?

No, they don't have healthy lifestyles, eat rubbish food and little exercise. The beer drinking doesn't help I'm sure. But I wouldn't say that they were alcoholics, as the drinking is social at the local pub and they don't get smashed, but they do drink a lot of beer.

I like to drink a beer as I make food for myself and my girlfriend, in the evening. I do that most nights of the week, but only have one. Of course I have more at social gatherings and what not (as rare as they are now-a-days), but if we're just at home I'll have one and stop there. I also drink whiskey, but that's a rarer occasion. We have a massively overstocked alcohol cupboard because neither of us are heavy drinkers. It could be worse!

I don't feel home brewing will change anything because I buy beers in bulk anyway, so it's not like I'll have more available then I normally do. I eat healthily and visit them gym 5 days a week, so I don't feel that drinking the amount I do has any negative impact on me.

Ok,its official, i drink more than everybody 😨
There seems to be a lot of brewing going on compared to drinking it!!!!!
The "what are you drinking tonight" thread should just be shut as it only applies to me 😉
Unless of course.......

He he he, Don't worry your not alone. We sail on the Good Ship Beer together.:cheers:

Far from it. I know a lot of ex-big drinkers who have a number of health problems. There are a lot of them with psychological issues such as post traumatic stress disorder, fibromyalgia, etc which have one thing in common, nearly all the people affected are or wre heavy drinkers over a prolonged period.

eat rubbish food and little exercise

Nonsense! I exercise a lot! I do drunken gardening, drunken forestry, drunken running after rabbits, drunken rebuilding my house.

As for food, pheasant and foie gras pie ain't rubbish in my book.

Case closed.

Cheers!

The thing is I don't suppose there's many on here that are brewing lots of beer to give it away because they are very kind, don't like beer and are incomprehensibly stupid.
As for big drinkers.....I find those who consistently scoff 15 - 20 pints in a sitting and more...and are out at least a couple of times a week don't brew their own as they are too idle and basically drink ****e...where's the fun in tipping 15 pints of Carling down your neck?

Cheers

Clint

The thing is I don't suppose there's many on here that are brewing lots of beer to give it away because they are very kind, don't like beer and are incomprehensibly stupid.
As for big drinkers.....I find those who consistently scoff 15 - 20 pints in a sitting and more...and are out at least a couple of times a week don't brew their own as they are too idle and basically drink ****e...where's the fun in tipping 15 pints of Carling down your neck?

Cheers

Clint

As someone who used to drink more than that, I'd say you haven't thought it through. Say 20 pints twice a week. Thats a 23 litre brew every week or thereabouts. So you would need to have a few brews at various stages on all the time. Thats a lot of brewing to be doing and a lot of storage space that would be required and thats without allowing sufficient time for proper conditioning.

Latest posts

Back