Rookie pulling a test batch question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazygoldfish

Reaction score
So I have my very first batch on brew, its sitting beside me now bubbling away quite nicely in the airlock and sitting at a constant 22C.

I am due for taken a test sample on Wednesday. Its a fairly simple ballihoo fermentation vessell with handy airlock.

Question is, whats the best way to take a test sample...... do I just pull the airlock and quickly get my pump tube in there ? Bit worried if i let too air in, the beer will go off.

There's no tap on the bottom of the bucket, something ill be investing in for my next brew.

Many members use a turkey baster -

1593966144910.png

Probably not a great idea, but I just cracked open FV lid and dropped in the sanitized hydrometer, took the reading and then removed on my first brew. I probably wouldn't recommend this method unless you're unable to obtain a turkey baster in time.
I have since installed a tap on my FV, but as with many things here, they divide opinion.

Probably not a great idea, but I just cracked open FV lid and dropped in the sanitized hydrometer, took the reading and then removed on my first brew. I probably wouldn't recommend this method unless you're unable to obtain a turkey baster in time.
I have since installed a tap on my FV, but as with many things here, they divide opinion.
For this batch I’ll either pump or turkey bast.... to minimise air contact ....next batch I’ll install a tap or get a better vessel.

Latest posts

Back