Rudgate Brewery, Tockwith.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markp

Landlord.
Reaction score
Whilst scanning the local news, I noticed an article about a local brewery that had won an award.
Now, I live near to Tadcaster (a brewing mecca!?); the home of the breweries of John Smiths, Bass (now Coors) and Samuel Smiths.......that was it, so I thought.

The brewery in question is the 'Rudgate Brewery' - I'd never heard of it.
The prize they won was CAMRA's Champion Beer of Britain 2009 for their Ruby Mild. This was worthy of further inspection I thought.

After a brief look at the website - http://www.rudgate-beers.co.uk/index.html - off I trundle with my heart set on a pack of Ruby Mild and a pack of Brewers Droop (Marston Moor Brewery).
'No Ruby', I'm informed by the kindly man who greeted me from amongst the kegs. 'It's all gone a bit crazy on that since we won the award. Be about 4 weeks before we've got bottles back in, but I can do you a 9 if you like?' (hahahaha!)
Disappointed; but not deterred, I substitute a pack of Battleaxe Bitter to go with the Droop.

These beers are good.....very good. So much so, I've already been back for a second pack of Battleaxe.
The Battleaxe is a traditional bitter.....very hoppy taste boardering on pale ale.
The Brewers Droop is a light, golden beer.....again very hoppy.

Well worth the detour to call in for a few crates if you are in the area. I will certainly be back for more and I'm really looking forward to trying their Ruby Mild sometime soon.

ATB

Back