Rugby World Cup 2023

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sifty

Landlord.
Reaction score
This kicks off in September, all games are in France, and it will be a really interesting competition this year. Any of several teams could take it, and the draw means many top ranked teams will go out in the quarters. (Only 2 of NZ, France, Ireland and South Africa can go through)...

My take, listed by current rankings.

1) Ireland. Deservedly at No 1. Have never progressed past the quarters but have the belief and skills to do so...

2) France. Home advantage will be huge. Playing well and have the best halfback (maybe player) in the world. They are France though, can see them losing a game and still getting to another final...

3) New Zealand. Wounded by losing great players and beset by coaching dramas. They are the All Blacks though, never underestimate...

4) South Africa. Always dangerous. Think they have lost their captain Kolisi to injury...

5) Scotland. I was impressed by their play in the 6N, could trouble higher ranked teams...

6) England. Currently terrible, maybe Playing to their strengths (keeping it tight, kicking penalties) will aid in tournament play, are their forwards up to it?

7) Australia. Eddie Jones has a point-to-prove, quite a kind draw...

8) Argentina. A genuinely good team, have beaten most top nations now...

9) Wales. Not great atm...

10) Japan. Could cause an upset...

A factor could be injury to key players during games before the cup. There are several bruising encounters scheduled. Do coaches protect players and tactics or play to win...?

Looking fwd to this tournament, I'd love to see another NZ-Fance final personally, but some tough knockout games to get through.

This site has a good predictor function.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/world-cup-rugby-2023-fixtures-england-telegraph-predictor/

On a serious note, Scotland (playing really well) are very unfortunate to be in a group with the Saffers and Ireland, as such I don't think they'll get through the group but otherwise could have gone far.

Georgia dark horses for getting out of the group, sneaky win vs Wales? Probably not, Gatland will have Wales scraping wins by then.

Lot can change before then. There is the usual injuries in the warm up games. Got some annual leave banked incase a little trip is on the cards. Was planning a few weeks out there but Wales have been poor

Things ramping up in the pre WC games here. Last weekend the Springboks beat Australia and NZ beat Argentina by similar scores (43/41 to 12 respectively).

We're an hr away from the All Blacks - Springbok game in NZ. (Having a few home brews in prep) 🙂 This will be very telling, the boks have a huge pack and their captain's father passed away earlier this week so they will be fired up (he is playing). Countering that, South Africa haven't won in Auckland since 1937.

They're not playing at Eden park however as that is booked for the women's soccer/football world cup.

Should be a good game, followed by Aus v Pumas afterwards.

Are the NH teams playing similar games? I imagine an Ireland v France game would be extremely interesting...

Things ramping up in the pre WC games here. Last weekend the Springboks beat Australia and NZ beat Argentina by similar scores (43/41 to 12 respectively).

We're an hr away from the All Blacks - Springbok game in NZ. (Having a few home brews in prep) 🙂 This will be very telling, the boks have a huge pack and their captain's father passed away earlier this week so they will be fired up (he is playing). Countering that, South Africa haven't won in Auckland since 1937.

They're not playing at Eden park however as that is booked for the women's soccer/football world cup.

Should be a good game, followed by Aus v Pumas afterwards.

Are the NH teams playing similar games? I imagine an Ireland v France game would be extremely interesting...
Yes starting in August

Phooo. ABs up 20-3 at half time. Pace and accuracy have shocked the Boks. Didn't pick that...

Looked it up.
France playing Scotland twice, Fiji and Australia.
Ireland playing England, Italy and Samoa
England playing Ireland, Wales twice and Fiji
Wales playing England as above and South Africa...

From 20-3 half time, ended 35-20 to NZ.
Very fast game. Both these sides could worry anyone at the WC...

Having only watched the first half, the ABs blew South Africa away. Absolutely incredible the speed with which they played, maybe a glimpse of what is to come at RWC 2023. Think it could be an All Blacks v France final, can’t believe how fast the game has become from when I started playing/watching about 50 years ago. Where do you reside in NZ, got some family down near Wellington. What type of beers do you brew

Yeah a fast game, with good skills shown by both sides. I have a feeling South Africa were feilding the strongest team possible while we have a little in reserve yet. I'd be happy with (another) NZ - France final. Currently watching Aussie v Argentina, just started...

I'm in the deep south (as opposed to the shallow north 🙂) and brew most styles, but more partial to ales than lagers, and like traditional regional beers. Hardest thing is brewing styles I haven't tried as I have no idea what they should taste like, they're a bit hard to come by here sometimes... 😀

And Argentina have beaten Australia at home with a last minute try. 34 - 31.

They will be a real threat to many teams...

Some results last weekend:

A 22 - 21 win for SAF v Argentina
Fiji beat Samoa 33 - 19
NZ thrashed Australia 38 - 7
Scotland beat Italy 25 - 13

This weekend has repeats of NZ v Australia and Argentina v SAF, plus Japan v Fiji.

and there's:

Scotland v France
Wales v England
Ireland v Italy

NZ has sewn up the championship and will likely just blood new players and combinations on Sat, so I'm more interested in the northern hemisphere games...

As a League person I have little interest in RFU - I think it's a boring game to watch but did enjoy playing it in to my 20s.

Whilst English, I am hoping for Ireland to win given that a former team mate of mine is their Head Coach/Manager/whatever they get called these days. Go on Faz lad!

Ireland will be same as usual.

We target the 6N and autumn series while everyone with serious ambition for the RWC are working towards that. This comes from the IRFU, I'm not having a go at Farrell for that.

Our outhalf is a walking concussion and nearly 40. He'll go off early and we'll throw in someone with eff all meaningful game time under their belt.

QF exit and you can take that to the bank.

I think it's a mental thing with Ireland. Can they overcome previous world cup history and live up to their #1 ranking under pressure?
That's why these pre-cup games are interesting. Both for gauging form and to see if the coaches try out different combinations as injury cover.
The All Blacks are running out several new players in a few hrs against Australia. That's always interesting...

Back