Run out of beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Fro

Reaction score
Had a minor hiccup with the stout I'm brewing at the mo. In true Muntons style I suffered a stuck brew and no amount of warming or rousing did the trick so I ended up repitching another lot of yeast.

It's going to be a week or two until bottling and thanks to my generosity in letting some chums guzzle my last batch I'm completely out of beer.

I'm going to have to go to a shop and buy some. Oh the shame!

There's no shame! I brew loads,don't let much go to free loaders...but can be scratching some times...
I realise the trick is....break the back of it and brew at least three at the same time...then another couple as soon as these are done then at least once a month after....

........ I brew loads, don't let much go to free loaders...

It's bad for Royalty if you give your beer away. The last time I did it the King died!

Being serious, get yourself up to "Critical Mass" as soon as you can. "Critical Mass" is where you have enough beer/lager ready to drink to allow you to:
  • Not brew anything for at least three weeks.
  • Take a full six weeks to brew, carbonate and condition another batch.
  • Have at least one total failure.
In other words you shouldn't run out if you don't brew anything for TWO MONTHS.

It helps to put friends and relatives off if you explain:
  • That one hasn't finished fermenting yet, you'll probably spend the next two days on the loo.
  • That one is still carbonating.
  • That one is only a "sipping beer" and almost a wine.
  • The on still hasn't fully conditioned.
All these are good, but the best way to discourage free-loaders is to charge them the same price as they would pay in a local pub.

@Dutto - sage advice!

When this stout is finally in bottles I want to get another something on the brew asap. My problem is I've only got 50 odd bottles.

Now that I've knocked out some tasty beer I'm reluctant to buy any in and I can't bring myself to buy empty bottles either.

Has anyone had any luck poncing empties from their local pub?

Buying isn't a bad idea...it'll keep your homebrew stocks a bit longer while matures and builds. Plus you get to try different styles. I got around 200 bottles...I think!

@Dutto ......... My problem is I've only got 50 odd bottles. ...........

Which is exactly why a lot of the Forum Members get themselves a Pressure Barrel.

I can recommend a PB, but only AFTER you have decided which beer/lager you best like to brew and drink.

Santa's coming and who could grudge their nearest and dearest something as basic to brewing as a Barrel?

Back