Sad for the workers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobsbeer

Reaction score
I am really sad to hear about the death of Bob Crow. A sad event for the workers he represented. A principled leader who put the needs of the workers first.

Age 52, that's not fair.

But I had to Google who he was, sorry Bob :oops:

I think most Londoners would know who he was. :lol: And good on him for standing up for his members in the face of Barmy Boris.

Sorry that he has passed at such a young age-no one deserves that. Sorry Bob- I have had to live first hand with the chaos that man caused when he didn't get his way. Add SouthEastern railways work ethic to Bob Crow's attitude to change & you might begin to see why he won't be missed that much by me.

BIGJIM72 said:
Sorry that he has passed at such a young age-no one deserves that. Sorry Bob- I have had to live first hand with the chaos that man caused when he didn't get his way. Add SouthEastern railways work ethic to Bob Crow's attitude to change & you might begin to see why he won't be missed that much by me.

If it was not for men like him little boys would still be going down mines and up chimneys and your wife would be cleaning rich men's houses and you would have to call them sir and touch your forelock. It never ceases to surprise me how many people think that they alone are responsible for their present standard of living and get very upset when their train tube or bus is not running on time. When you talk about work ethic how many people on this and other fora spend hours of their employers time posting when they should be doing what they are paid to do and all of this in a centrally heated environment not out in rain and cold. Are you guilty or not guilty.

BIGJIM72 said:
Add SouthEastern railways work ethic to Bob Crow's attitude to change & you might begin to see why he won't be missed that much by me.

Bob's attitude to change was not against change per se, but that change should not erode his members standard of living. He was sticking up for the workers in our society, even if that did cause a bit of annoyance in the short term.

I remember seeing on telly a few weeks back in a adhoc live battle with Boris and was impressed in how well he conducted himself.

Sad loss and so young.

IPA said:
BIGJIM72 said:

If it was not for men like him little boys would still be going down mines and up chimneys and your wife would be cleaning rich men's houses and you would have to call them sir and touch your forelock. It never ceases to surprise me how many people think that they alone are responsible for their present standard of living and get very upset when their train tube or bus is not running on time. When you talk about work ethic how many people on this and other fora spend hours of their employers time posting when they should be doing what they are paid to do and all of this in a centrally heated environment not out in rain and cold. Are you guilty or not guilty.

I for one do a manual job,on my feet for 10-14 hours a day with often no break,no meal & barely time to take a **** because I am so busy & add into that dealing with the public. My standard of living is down to me because I worked hard to go to college & because I built my reputation on solid graft. I do not sit on my backside fiddling with FB & social media at work like many do. We have no recognised union & TBH the last time I was a union member they were about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Oh-throw in a 0 hour contract so you are paid by the hour then see how fond of men like that you are when your pay is docked. Definitely not guilty. There are also plenty of idle hands round this way that a stint of manual labour wouldn't hurt to make them realise how lucky they really are.

I expect when paying for a service like public transport is that it works-because down here the prices are a joke. A seat is a dream come true. Work ethic? Though the winds,snow & rains the bus drivers of London kept a service running that shamed SouthEastern.

Sorry guys, but all the romantic misty eyed sentiment would go out of the window PDQ if it hit you in the pocket or inconvenienced you. I note that no other posters are London based.

Again- sorry the man has died so young-this shouldn't have turned into a rant.

Bob Crowe and Jeremy Paxman

[youtube:23w8itx4]bCT3gDC814E[/youtube:23w8itx4]

Bob Crow and the RMT were trying to keep the ticket offices open, true, those are the jobs of RMT members but it's also a service that'll never come back once it's gone.
The ticket office staff are part of a stations safety procedure. Did you know the first person on the scene at Aldgate when the bomb went off and responsible for leading the survivors to safety, receiving an award from the Queen in doing so........... the ticket seller at Aldgate.
That job has now gone.

BIGJIM72 said:
I for one do a manual job,on my feet for 10-14 hours a day with often no break,no meal & barely time to take a **** because I am so busy & add into that dealing with the public.
Sounds like you could be a contender for an early grave too, if you're not careful. :hmm: Do you get thanked for working all those hours? At the end of the day it is only a job, you're entitled to breaks (health and safety) If you keel over on the job, would your employer thank you, would they support your family once you go? I think not, so be careful and look after number 1.

The Italians have a very good saying, which is: "The English live to work, the Italians work to live"

I often think about this saying and it is actually a very accurate statement.

Cornish Knocker said:
BIGJIM72 said:
I for one do a manual job,on my feet for 10-14 hours a day with often no break,no meal & barely time to take a **** because I am so busy & add into that dealing with the public.
Sounds like you could be a contender for an early grave too, if you're not careful. :hmm: Do you get thanked for working all those hours? At the end of the day it is only a job, you're entitled to breaks quote]

Yes, exactly. And a union would make sure you got breaks and reasonable working conditions. That's why we join.

Cornish Knocker said:
The Italians have a very good saying, which is: "The English live to work, the Italians work to live"

This'll be the Italy that's as good as bust or a different one? :lol:

calumscott said:
Cornish Knocker said:

This'll be the Italy that's as good as bust or a different one? :lol:
Lol yeah i think it's the very same , I must admit i'm in Bigjims72 way of thinking . I think unions were very useful once but also sometimes go too far but whatever they do I'm selfemployed and have to work hard with or without a union . Having said that ,
R.I.P Bob Crow watched him many a time on telly giving others hell . :hat:

Sorry to see him go, especially at only 52, however, he had a dreadful taste in hats from the piccy's shown on telly this morning.

pittsy said:
calumscott said:
Cornish Knocker said:

This'll be the Italy that's as good as bust or a different one?

:
I think unions were very useful once quote]

And "the once" was what gave you and everyone else the standard of living that you take so much for granted today

Unions also what helped wreck many industries, like crow would have done if he got his way. Tactically he made an impact but strategically clueless and a throwback to a bygone era. As for his principles? £145k a year and taking a council house? Shameless hypocrite. Furthering his own communist ideology seemed just as vital to him as his members, while he wasn't on long hols in Brazil of course

I sort of respect Crowe, pity he didn't live in the real world :(

Expecting to maintain his members wages, public service wages, in a shrinking economy was not realistic.

I work in manufacturing, for now. We are unionised and I doubt the business will survive the next 5 years, so rather than accept a slightly lower standard of living the union members will end up unemployed, along with the rest of us.

Those of you who believe unions are a good thing and that without them we'd still be living in the conditions present in the 1700s should look up Quaker Employers, a far more influential group (in the overall scheme of things) than any union has ever been in this country.

I've been a union rep, I believe, fervently, in an employee's rights to fair employment, I no longer believe unions will deliver that. I've seen the steel works die, I've seen the coal mines die, I've seen the British car industry crumble, I'm watching the industry I work in die. While none of those deaths are entirely due to union pressure, more co-operation from the unions would have helped them survive.

If you want a good union model look to Germany, don't get me wrong they have their union idiots, but far fewer of them, and they don't get to senior levels.

RIP Bob Crowe, a man of, misplaced, but hugely strong principles :(

TRXnMe said:
I sort of respect Crowe, pity he didn't live in the real world :(

Expecting to maintain his members wages, public service wages, in a shrinking economy was not realistic.

I work in manufacturing, for now. We are unionised and I doubt the business will survive the next 5 years, so rather than accept a slightly lower standard of living the union members will end up unemployed, along with the rest of us.

Those of you who believe unions are a good thing and that without them we'd still be living in the conditions present in the 1700s should look up Quaker Employers, a far more influential group (in the overall scheme of things) than any union has ever been in this country.

I've been a union rep, I believe, fervently, in an employee's rights to fair employment, I no longer believe unions will deliver that. I've seen the steel works die, I've seen the coal mines die, I've seen the British car industry crumble, I'm watching the industry I work in die. While none of those deaths are entirely due to union pressure, more co-operation from the unions would have helped them survive.

If you want a good union model look to Germany, don't get me wrong they have their union idiots, but far fewer of them, and they don't get to senior levels.

RIP Bob Crowe, a man of, misplaced, but hugely strong principles :(

I think you got my way of thinking. His members may have loved him & thought of him as a real working class hero-but he got there by disrupting the lives of many more low paid workers who rely on public transport.

IPA said:
BIGJIM72 said:

and you would have to call them sir and touch your forelock.

Those of us in the service industries have to do that as standard pal

Latest posts

Back