Safale US-05 slow start?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddy

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just looking some reassurance I guess.

We got an AG APA brew on the go yesterday and pitched safale US-05 at around 7pm.

Checked there now, over 24hours later, and there is a very thin krausan and a little outward pressure in airlock but no bubbles yet...

I am a little worried as we got another ag brew on two weeks ago. Fairly similar ingredients too.

We used the same yeast two weeks ago and it was off like a rocket 12 hours later with massive krausan and crazy bubble action for about 4 days straight. The only real difference is there is less headroom this time. Is headroom known to effect yeast progress? There is about an inch of space there.

Cheers
Paddy

Thin krausen is better than no krausen, just leave it, I'm sure it will be fine. What temp is it at? I would just leave it sealed up and not interfere with it too much. Should see some lock activity soon enough! :thumb:

+ 1 for leave it alone.

I bet if you look at it tomorrow its spewing all over the place. Sometimes yeast takes a while to pick up, especially if its a bit cold or no starter

My fermentations with US-05 always take about 36-48 hours to take off...

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

Still the same this morning. Its sitting at room temp. Average of about 19c.

Maybe we had some sort of freak accident last time and somehow brewed an optimum US-05 environment.

This time maybe not so lucky. Hopefully it'll kick off tonight or tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back