Sam's brew day's

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My last Amber got marked down for not delivering on caramel. I’d over shot on dark crystal malts and dipped into toffee and dark fruits. I’ve added roasted malts to dry out the finish and bring a bit of balance to the malts. Biscuit seems like a great idea, I’d went with crisp low colour chocolate on the UKHBC entry so I could keep the crystal malt % high. I’m going to relook biscuit for the next recipe.

Big boy stout is on the go 🤞

10kg Minch pale ale malt
500g chocolate malt
500g oats
300g Cara Munich malt
200g crystal 145
250g special B
200g carafa 2
100g black malt.

I have never seen a thicker mash..... I will up date as I go along.

So I never hit the numbers I was guessing. I ended up with 19 litres @1.084. learning experience. This will be at the bottom end of the imperial scale, anything above 8% is classed imperial.
I do have the option of adding sugar during fermentation to bump up the abv. This is something I have never did before or because I no chill I could boil up a sugar solution and add it later on tonight.
The wort itself tastes great, either way it will be pitched on a yeast cake of WLP 023 that I saved from a previous brew. I also plan to dry hop with coffee beans and maybe add vanilla at bottling stage

Mine had some sugar in it, 250 of white, 250 of brown and some dme. It just depends if you want the abv... it'll taste good either way I'm sure. I haven't tasted mine yet either mind (sample at bottling was decent tho!).

Yeah I'd agree with this and would skip the sugar.

Is this the first time with the cooler mash tun? Did you partigyle?
Not this time, I was pushed for time. I will just let the beer roll as it is. I will measure the OG gravity tomorrow before transferring

Not this time, I was pushed for time. I will just let the beer roll as it is. I will measure the OG gravity tomorrow before transferring
I had an issue with mine for the Brew n Swap but decided I’d rather see what it tastes like this time around before messing around with the recipe. Then if it’s ok alter it to suit next time.

I have been busy lately so a few up dates on my beers
Altbier gravity 1.010, crash cooling
Saison dry hopped with 50g H-blanc
American amber dry hopped with 75g strata
Imperial stout gravity check 1.084- 1.028 and is still fermenting slowly.

Check my 4 kegs all feeling light, the plan is to keg the Altbier, American amber and maybe the Saison. Bottle condition the stout

Ordered some new hops to try out
Opus 100g
Ernest 225g
Cascade (UK) 100g
Harlequin 100g
Olicana 100g

Planning a single hopped golden ale with Ernest, IPA with Olicane, Harlequin & Ernest and a pale ale with the Cascade & Opus. I have some WLP023 in the fridge

Back