San Miguel lager kit brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

San Miguel

Reaction score
Hi guys @ THBF.
Just got back into brewing after an absence of about 10 years.
Used to make the Tom Caxtons lager from Boots for about 4 1/2 quid, they changed their lables from white with blue writing to a more elaborate colour scheme @ the same time the malt extract seemed different and never really liked it again?
This time round the only kit I could find close to a strongish lager was Young's definitive so a couple weeks ago I bought it. I tried to keep the sediment to a minimum when bottling so I syphoned the batch into another bucket before bottling.
Next I did something that could be a mistake, instead of feeding each bottle with sugar I put all the sugar with about a pint of the brew, warmed it up stirred then mixed with the brew and bottled.
Results of this method :- after bottling (4 days now) the bottled lager doesn't appear to have fermented at all in fact almost cleared in the 68*F stable condition. I have now put them in the cool garage and await....
Anyhow, being prepared for the worst scenario poss I bought a Young's 40 pint lager kit brewbuddy.
This may raise an eyebrow as my brewing container is 32 pint (4 gallons instead of 5) my one hope is the finished product will be a little stronger in flavour and alc content.
I'll wait until cracking a bottle from the first batch to see if i'd better go back to sugaring the bottles in the more conventional way.
The second batch was made yesterday and the head today looks really nice :thumb:
I didn't check the 1st batch for OG so the taste will tell all.
2nd batch OG @ 1.043 hoping to give me a 4.6* with a 1.008 FG, I think we normally drop the 1. when refering to these figures??
That's about the size of it, please feel free to critisize as much as poss, I hope you all do.
San
edit. p.s. forgot to mention second batch was made with bottled spring water as I live in Hampshire next to the South Downs, very hard water n.b.

hi you did right by priming in that way its known as batch priming , you would want around 200g for 23l brew (10g a litre) and you also need to bring your bottles back into warmth (around 20oC room temp) for a period of 2 weeks not 4 days then cold store , good luck with the brew :cheers:

Thanks for the advice pittsy, guess i'd better bring them back in out of the garage then, oh well live and learn :)

Back