Scalling a recipe to reduce the gravity - hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaddan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've got a recipe I crated at 9% but I want to create a lower grav version.
Brewfather allows me to scale the grain easily but doesn't scale the hops.

I'm not sure what is the best way to change them - do I adjust them the same amount as the grain or something else?

Some will need to change if not all to get the right bitterness and taste.

The original recipie has a ibu of 55 which gives me a bu/gu 0.61 which is bang on the middle of the jazy/jucy impetal/double ipa profile.
If I swap that to the same profile but for a standard ipa and scale the recipe to 6.2% the ibu goes to 69 with a bu/gu of 1.11.

What I don't know, if if I just adjust the bittering hops or everything?

You most likely want to scale back to bittering addition so the relationship between bitterness and malt sweetness is the same. Have a look in Brewfather it should give a (Relative Bitterness Ratio) BU:GU value.

Late hops can stay the same or be reduced, that's a judgement call based on the style being brewed. Fir a stout you may want to dial it back, but then not for an IPA.

Same, but perhaps less so for dry hopping.

A good way to approach it is to adjust the late hops as required, then adjust the bittering addition to match the BU:GU value to the initial recipe.

Back